FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delete Render Files in Autodesk Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Spivack
Delete Render Files in Autodesk Smoke
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:58:07 am

Hey everyone,
I am rendering out a large series of unmanaged media, red files, onto an external 2TB drive connected via esata. The sequence itself is about 40 minutes and since they are 5k Red files that I'll eventually be exporting dpx sequences of, I wanted to use the drive as my render storage since we don't have much else and we can set a long render to go overnight since that's what it'll take. All this worked excellent. Except we were in the wrong color space and have to re-ender.
Can anyone help eliminate the render files on the drive? There shouldn't be anything else on it, since it was clean when we started to render to it. I've attempted to go into my library, select the sequence and then "tools" "unrender" but it has zero effect on the space of the drive, even when Smoke tells me the sequence is now unrendered. I've also told it to "unstore media" though it isn't anyways. Still no resolution.

Thanks for any help!

Josh

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Delete Render Files in Autodesk Smoke
on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:14:04 am

Based in where you posted I am assuming you are in 2012. Once you unrender frames they become unmanaged on the framestore even though they aren't instantly deleted. They will normally get removed and freed when smoke restarts and VIC runs. You can go to preferences and storage and choose purge frames which should instantly free the frames.

Next to the bug viewer, they I. Framestore display that should check and see and approx the number of frames are needed for the render.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Sep 5, 2012 at 4:13:41 am

Brian,
Thanks for the response! Indeed this is 2012, but it's 2012 Service Pack 2, if that matters. I tried going to where I think you wanted me to go, I opened the project, when to preferences, then to the storage tab, third to the bottom, all I see is a "force purge," which I do but again, to no avail. It seems to need no time to process either, whereas usually deleting a TB would take a little time. So I brought up Smoke Setup and see my Media Storage tab but no clear way to "purge" or remove anything.
To be clear too, when I go to the "available and purgable" sub-tab of storage (when in Smoke) it thinks and then does nothing. Really it does htis for all sub-tabs except "volume statistics."
Thanks for any additional support and thank you again for the initial reply.

Josh.

P.S. To add a wrench into all this, I am going to set off that new render tonight, and it should take about 500MB leaving me with less than a half TB of storage. WIll I be able to delete the renders of old sequences while maintaing this new one that I'm doing overnight?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:04:47 pm

What I said applies to any 2012 version.

Never mess with the Smoke setup Media storage... unless you want to add or remove the storage completely. Smoke usually does a good job of managing frames, but it can be a bit quirky. I am surprised that Force Purge didn't really give you anything.

I wonder is a reboot would. Regardless, it sounds like you do have enough to render with.

One thing about frame usage that's good to remember. Every frame/clip in the project gets a number. If I have a frame/clip in my Library from import that's #1, then I copy it to the editdesk, #2, then I edit it into a sequence, #3... Now Smoke keeps track of all of this and when you delete clips/frames the number then decreases until it's #0 and then Smoke will free up the storage.

So often times frames can get hidden in History even if you think you deleted everything... or maybe it's save din the library.

So If you did a render and it used 500megs, and you saved that render to the library, and then unrendered the version on the editdesk, the 500megs is not freed up, because it is still saved in the library.

So I would guess that some where along the line your renders from the first renderd clip might still be active somewhere in the project.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:16:46 pm

Brian and all,

I thought it was important I'd reply since this could be an issue for others. First Brian, thank you again for both your responses, they were thorough and helpful.

Here's what I discovered:
First, it seems, maybe I'm crazy, that Smoke doesn't always update the status of its volumes right away. I tried just about everything Brian mentioned in this short post, even beyond that (I'll get into the exact details soon so someone else can try my troubleshooting) and my 2TB drive stood firm. Finally I got a little out of it, in the amount of a few hundred GB. I tried basically removing anything from my library and edit desk that I didn't need, this had do it. No budge except that initial I had mentioned, even after restarting. Then suddenly I just checked my drive and wallah! I have 1.5TB available.

Anyways, here is what I did to regain some space and remove unnecessary renders. Brian, please don't hesitate to correct anything in the following I might have done unnecessarily, and thanks again...

I started by trying to clear up my library. I selected tons of old sequences and selected "unrender" and even went further, unlinking clips and using "delete history frames" in the tools--consolidate options in the library. I'm not sure if the latter does anything at all but I wanted to try. After these three steps, I deleted the specific clips. It takes some rewiring for my mind to realize that the library is separate, deleting from the library won't delete from the edit desk. This is a huge distinction because it also meants the opposite is true. So, I cleaned up my edit desk. I then went to preferences and selected "force purge" and it didn't seem to do much but clearly it reacted. I then closed smoke, brought up my Service Monitor and restarted every service, then I rebooted the computer. Doing this opened up some space, but not nearly what I was hoping for.

I wanted to know what Smoke thought of my volumes, as to give me insight into where the space was going. A very useful tool is to go back into the preferences feature, go to "storage" and then to "volume statistics." This tells you exactly what library or edit desk is taking up space. Here I found what I believed was my problem. My edit desk was about 600GB of space, and my library was a suspicious 550 or so GB of space--seemingly duplicates of each other. I inferred that it was likely that I had saved my rendered sequence into the library and that had duplicated the render files, though I'm not certain of this. As I'm sure it is a lot of our habits, I hit save on my sequence as if it has to go to the library, but it doesn't. I opened the library and redid the steps above, even though this was a sequence I was actively working on. I even deleted it from the library, though I probably could have left it at its unrendered state. I forced purge, restarted, etc. Didn't notice anything until an hour later I took a look at the volume and I had about 600 or so GB's additional.

So my advice to anyone needing to clear renders is this:
First, see what you can clean up from your edit desk. Then go to your libraries and start to clean that up, including removing duplicates of sequences you have in the edit desk and unrendering things you don't need. Then go into preferences and force purge. Hopefully you won't need to restart anything, I can't say for sure whether this had an impact or not, but I know I did do it.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:55:52 pm

Smoke is funky ometimes as to when it wants to refresh the frames on the framestore...normally it would happen on reboot as as background check runs called VIC or volume integrity check.

Sometimes you get get a refresh by force purge and switching projects and then back. It's more of a game really.
But yes, th library and the editdesk are seperate. Deletting one will not affect th other.

So this all applies to Smoke 2012.... If you move to Smoke 2013 th library move to the editdesk and behaves like FCP and premiere. So they took the wall down.

I don't think that you needed to do all the tricks in the library... Deleting the clip would have been enough. But that's just a guess not having seen the project.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Josh Spivack
on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:52:02 pm

Brian, sorry to bother you with this again (or anyone who answers), but I have one more follow-up question.
I'm having similar issues with space. I thought I cleared up everything but don't seem to see the space really dissipating (we've adding another new sequence). My two questions are: In volume statistics smoke is measuring in Nb FullRes Frames. What can I convert that too? If it's saying I have 1,703,226 Nb's on my edit desk, is that like saying 1.7TB? That's a division obviously of one million which is just a strange conversion. If so I know my space is taken, if not, if it's what I thought originally and is actually a smaller number than 1.7TB, then I don't know how to remove the space with the methods discussed in previous posts.

If the numbering is correct, then how do I delete this space from my edit desk, especially when I thought I already had? I cleaned it up dramatically...can you delete something but not have it actually removed?
Is there a way to keep an old sequence on the desk but unrender it? The best I can think of is adding it to a library, selecting unrender, adding that to the desk and then deleting the old (and then deleting what's on the library....) Is there better than this?

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]