FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer + Smoke combo for Post

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrice Freymond
Media Composer + Smoke combo for Post
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:14:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear from Smoke experts what their experience is / what they think of a Media Composer + Smoke combo for posting tv shows.

We're talking jobs from simple assy of opens, host presentation, short piece, jingles, etc to entertainment multicam shows, concerts that then have to be dressed up and also Open title creation, tracking, titling, subtitling etc.

I have experience with MC but also with FCP, Mocha, Motion and some AE and Symphony.

Our plan at the moment is to go MC + DS but I'd like to know if there is an alternative to DS, one of the reasons being that i'd like to stay in the Mac world.

Any advice, opinion welcome. BTW, all audio is done in seperate post via OMF exports to either PT or Pyramix.

Thanks,

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Keith Sonstegard
Re: Media Composer + Smoke combo for Post
on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:32:27 pm

I'm no expert, but I have had MC and Smoke on my Mac for 2 years now.
Outside of the steep learning curve, the only issue I've had is linking AAF audio files. Almost every project I've worked on has had an audio issue where 2 to 7 audio files don't link up to the original media. My Mac is set up as a duel-boot system. Avid on one HD and Smoke on another so that I can keep the proper OS for each piece of software. On the video side, Smoke has all of the tools you need to finish and create programs. I use Action (3d compositor), the Modular keyer, Paint, Flame FXs, Color Warper, tracking and Genarts Sparks on every edit I do...seriously, I use it all and love it. My only concern is Autodesk's beta version of Smoke 2013. They've changed a lot and it's still be ironed out. I can only hope they keep all of the tools and options that Smoke 2012 has.

Keith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]