FORUMS: list search recent posts

T-Tap?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
T-Tap?
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:30:35 pm

Anyone from Smoke know if there is going to be support for AJAs T-Tap? Or better yet Blackmagic output?

Are we still on the first beta? I've been working too much play around the last 2-3 weeks.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: T-Tap?
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:54:24 pm

As Smoke supports the IoXT and the T-Tap uses the same drivers I would expect the T-Tap should work just fine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:59:59 pm

Actually Fred Warren says otherwise.

"It is very very doubtful that Smoke 2013 will support the AJA T-Tap. The major problem is that the T-Tap seems to only work with a 422 signal and Smoke only outputs 444. The hardware usually has a converter and Smoke “passes a command” to have it make a conversion, but the T-Tap doesn’t do conversion.
To support the T-Tap we will have to modify our code so the conversion is done in software, which is not an easy task that can be achieved at this point of the release."

http://the-area.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013/aja-t-tap/

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 27, 2012 at 4:02:10 pm

Ah, wasn't aware of the Smoke limitations on output. As the drivers are the same, I assumed the two products would be able to do the same output. Well that certainly will limit Smoke's use in our shop a bit more.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 28, 2012 at 3:32:59 am

That kinda leaves me wondering if Smoke gets it yet. I want to give it a shot, but they're making pretty hard. And perhaps AJA needs to tone down the T-Tap hype if it's a 422 signal and bit the same quality of the IOXT.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:17:12 pm

Wait, I get it. IOXT and T-Tap is 422 output only, but the IOXT has the ability to downconvert a 444 signal on output. Can the higher end Matrox or Blackmagic cards do the down convert? Is that why there isn't any planned support for either?

Return to posts index

Bram Desmet
on Aug 4, 2012 at 11:16:58 am

Hi Bret, aside from downsampling/downconverting capabilities I can confirm that the IoXT can actually output 4:4:4 as it offers both Dual Link and 3Gbps SDI output, both of which support 4:4:4. The T-Tap is strictly limited to 1.5Gbps HD-SDI (no 3Gbps) on its output so it is limited to 4:2:2.

Bram Desmet
FSI (Flanders Scientific, Inc.)
http://www.FlandersScientific.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]