FORUMS: list search recent posts

Framestore "is slow"

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jahns
Framestore "is slow"
on Jul 7, 2012 at 12:10:38 am

Started encountering lots of dropped frames when working in the timeline, and even a failed layoff to tape, but the CLIP OUTPUT module helpfully informed me that my "framestore is slow".

My AJA System test says I'm getting 500-600 MB per sec, and should be good for 80 fps at 1080p24.

I unrendered, and then re-rendered the final clips, and that seemed to fix it, but any idea why it would have been having trouble previously? Any way to avoid it in the first place?

Thanks for any help...

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Framestore "is slow"
on Jul 7, 2012 at 12:18:17 am

I have gotten that when I had a drive go out on my Linux Framestore Raid and there wasn't enough bandwidth to push the video.

perhaps you have a drive failing slowly.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Alan Maiden
on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:20:51 am

I've had this issue when my framestore is getting full and it is 'scattering' the media. Sometimes a fresh render cures it and renders it in one stream to the raid rather than it having to find all the 'scattered' renders!

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:29:07 pm

Yeah - that totally worked for these clips. My drive was about 80% full - is that when you typically start seeing issues?

One other question...

When I set up this Smoke-Mac, I used an existing 8 TB RAID as my FrameStore, so it created the Autodesk Media Storage folder at the root level. I also use this RAID for my FCP Scratch, Color Renders, etc...

And I also have a folder that I put all of my "TO_SMOKE" source media in for soft importing ProRes quicktimes & TIFF sequences, etc...

Is that kind of thing asking for trouble? I had a Smoke-Flame guy in a few weeks ago, and he said on the Linux side, he'd never do that, but maybe it was OK on the Mac? Can't see why it would be a problem - it should have plenty of bandwidth - but maybe it would be better to partition the RAID into Smoke storage and Source Media?

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Alan Maiden
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:41:23 pm

I don't see it should be a problem set up this way, for me the main thing is not to let the disks really get above 75% full. I find once you exceed that the disks start to scatter and that's when the smoke struggles to give real-time playback, especially with HD and 10bit clips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]