FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updates must change!

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Rojas
Updates must change!
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:55:29 pm

I've been griping about this since the first SP update I got for Smoke on Mac 2 years ago. Every other NLE software simply updates. Avid, FCP... Adobe I jumped from CS3 to 5 and now 6 w/ease. I don't have to archive my projects, keep the older version running so I can finish a project or, which is a huge PITA, dig into the old library and move projects over to the updated version. I just had to revisit this issue again today updating 2012 to SP2. This thing of DL'ing the entire program, installing and jumping through the above hoops is absurd. Autodesk, word of advise, as you try to woo FCP7 users w/2013, if you put these folks thru the above scenario, you'll never get them. EVERYTHING HAS TO BE EASY! Every update to the pre-release needs to be click, DL and update the program.

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com

Return to posts index

David Jahns
Re: Updates must change!
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:37:16 am

I agree. I am on an older version, simply because I keep thinking there will be a good time between projects to update, but I never seem to have a clear window, and don't want to risk losing in-progress work with updates & incompatible libraries.

A Flame user I know says he archives EVERYTHING off of his system before doing any updates - so I'm kind of gun-shy with the whole update process.

While we're on the subject... Why re-invent the wheel with all of this Advantage Pack/Service Pack nonsense. What version? Oh, I'm using 2012 SAP2 SP1? Wtf?

There's a well established protocol for this kind of thing - decimal places! It's easy, and everyone know the difference between a whole new version, and modest update, and a bug fixes.

4.0 5.0 and 5.5, and 5.5.1 and 5.5.3 - I spent 10 minutes on the phone with an Autodesk guy, trying to decipher all of the SPs, and which updates I needed to run.

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:59:39 am

Here's a bit of info...
All software versions are unique and seperate. They often do share some background services, but those are backwards compatible.
So you can have multiple version of Smoke installed without any issues, Typically. There are sometimes issues with driver versions from time to time.

On my Linux system I have 2012, 2012 extension 1, 2013 and 2013 SP 2 installed. I have some older projects built in 2012 ext1 that I still use.

I don't archive off before an updates because I can't in my broadcast workflow as I always have 10+ projects in flux.
But it is a good practice.

Regarding why you have 2012 SAP Sp2.... It helps keep version info easy to understand between all of the Autodesk system software and 3d apps.

In the past Flame/Flint ver 9 was captive with Smoke ver 6. Once you added in dot release, it got confusing very fast.. Once they rebooted the version numbers, much like Adobe did with CS versions, Flame 2007 and smoke 2007 were compatible. Later on it become flame and smoke 2012 became compatible with Maya 2012 or 3DS Max 2012.

SAP releases are an advantage of those on subscription to get an update with features that those not in subscription don't get.

So a common name format does make it easy for you to understand what's compatible across multiple softwares within the Autodesk family.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:05:22 am

Thanks, Brian. I'm fine with the naming of the version being a year - that's actually quite helpful.

But 2012 SAP 2 SP 3 could easily be 2012.2.3

I guess it could be problematic if someone doesn't have the subscription, (the SAP), but needs the bug fixes - the SP.

Oh, well - it's a minor inconvenience at worst - not the biggest of my worries!

Dave

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Ben Rojas
on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:45:28 pm

No probs w/naming, but the whole update process has to be one button easy. Like you Brian, I too have left other versions on the sys, but Autodesk support, the last time I had issues, specifically told me I "should really archive and get rid of old versions." That's all well and good, but like you, I've got projects in progress; some that span a year or more. More often than not, I'll simply delete it when I'm finished. That being the case, to archive a mammoth project just so I can migrate to the latest version is absurd. Who has the time for that?!?!? Upgrades needs to be quick and painless.

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>