FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke To Davinci Workflow

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ari Brown
Smoke To Davinci Workflow
on May 31, 2012 at 5:50:09 pm

I am a long time reader, first time poster - so please be gentle :)
I have done a number of searches, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my workflow question yet.

I am trying to figure out the best workflow for doing a conform with Autodesk Smoke (2012), and then going out to Davinci Resolve for final color grading.
Am I wrong to assume that the publish feature would be my best bet to output the individual clips from a timeline, along with an EDL that Davinci would be then able to read and relink to?

Our workflow is normally based around short-form projects such as commercials & tv spots where the editors may be doing effects like timewarping or split screens, and other effects we would use smoke for the conform.
However, going out to Davinci for the final grading seems like the best option for the power and ease of the secondary features.
The final spot could then either be fed out from the Davinci, or sometimes might need to go back to the smoke.

Any insight you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Smoke To Davinci Workflow
on May 31, 2012 at 5:53:23 pm

I would say yes that currently Publish would be your option.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Creative_Finishing/enu/2012/Help/02_Smoke_--_F...

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 31, 2012 at 5:57:21 pm

However, I must say, I have not tried this... so their may be a catch in the workflow to Davinci.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Ari Brown
on May 31, 2012 at 6:03:53 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

I will experiment with round-tripping a project using the complex publish feature.
I know that a number of finishing houses do this exact type of workflow, unfortunately I didn't know anyone I could ask on how they achieve it.

Publish certainly seems to make the most amount of sense given what I want to try to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]