FORUMS: list search recent posts

some noob question

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sascha pisonic
some noob question
on May 9, 2012 at 6:53:57 pm

hello everybody

well im ot very expereinced in the use of autodesk smoke but im starting to get deeper into it.
here are some questions that came up lately.

we at our company added a smoke system to our production and we hadnt come up with a proper workflow yet.
we use avid media composer for the editing and normally output the edit as a quicktime SAS mov file. then were planing to finish the job in smoke doing a colour grading there and maybe some xtra stuff in action.
so at the moment we use resolve light for cut detection and bring the edl created in resolve to smoke and conform it with the mov.
but usually even when the edit is finshed there can be still changes.
so its alays a back and forth and doing stuff over and over again but this couldnt be right workflow.

how would someone do that job the right way?
i thought about working with the mxf files so that i can start grading in smoke while the cutter does his editing and any changes in the edit dont interfer with my grading job. so every time the cutter opens his avid project the files are updated.
and today i tried to import some avid mxf files but it didnt work. smoke couldnt import the mxf files avid creates when you import something into avid.
but i cant believe tat this doesnt work, im missing something.

next question is, smoke surely has a a way to get a broadcast safe limiter to work but i couldnt figure out how.
maybe someone could give me some advice here, how to pull this off.

and finally since im still some kind of noob in all that smoke business and i want to get better on that subject, are there any good tutorials out there where you can realy learn how to do all this stuff?

thanks so far for reading and maaybe answering

regards
sascha

Return to posts index

sascha pisonic
Re: some noob question
on May 9, 2012 at 7:02:59 pm

i should give my posts better names , sorry for tat one

maybe it should sound more like
proper avid to smoke workflow solution???

Return to posts index

Anisa Jadwat-Reinecke
on May 10, 2012 at 10:06:45 am

Tutorials on the Autodesk area are really useful.
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

This one deals with the workflow from Avid to Smoke:
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk/autodesk_smoke_the_avid_aaf_confo...

We've used MXF files from Avid in Smoke for conforms frequently, but Smoke will not import every flavour of MXF. We have had occasions where media in Avid had to be transcoded to another MXF format in the Avid before Smoke could use it. Check the user guide for acceptable MXF formats.

Return to posts index

Barry Goch
on May 12, 2012 at 5:41:15 pm

A great workflow, for both FCP and Avid, is to get your edit done as cuts and dissolves for timings and then go crazy in Smoke. A lot of effects don't conform properly, like variable speed timewarps, so you're better off doing them in Smoke - and get a better result.

Barry

----
Barry Goch
Online Editor, Smoke Instructor, Webinar presenter for Smoke and Resolve
barrygoch.com

Return to posts index

Barry Liu
on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:32:20 am

Can someone point me to a broadcast safe filter like Final Cut Pro?

That question was not answered and I would also like to do that in Autodesk Smoke.

Thanks

Return to posts index

sascha pisonic
on Jul 1, 2012 at 11:32:19 am

if i remember correct there is something like a broadcast safe limiter built in smoke but im not sure if it worked properly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]