FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Export Questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Louden
File Export Questions
on May 8, 2012 at 4:40:14 pm

My name is Kevin Louden and I am the product manager for Telestream's Episode Encoder. At NAB we demonstrated integration with Autodesk Wiretap server to allow easy transcoding workflows out of Autodesk systems. We are getting down to some of the nitty gritty of our integration and I have some questions that I would like to get user input on. I will start with some on video and audio tracks.

We can see that there are 3 different video "tracks" available for a clip or sequence via wiretap: HIRES, SLATE, and LOWRES. What I am wondering is if and how you guys utilize the SLATE and LOWRES versions in your workflows so that we can support them as well as we can. The HIRES we have a handle on and its always available for us via Wiretap. The SLATE and LOWRES versions however are not and those are the ones I am interested in learning about. How do you use these in your workflows?

Next is Audio. What would be your needs and requirements for audio in a file based export workflow. How is your audio typically laid out and what would the needs be for export typically?

I appreciate any input you can provide, we want to provide you with the best file based export workflow we can. Thanks in advance and if anyone has any questions about the integration we have done please feel free to start another topic and I would be happy to discuss what we are doing.

Kevin Louden
Product Manager | Episode
http://www.telestream.net

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: File Export Questions
on May 8, 2012 at 5:39:23 pm

Hey Kevin, We use Flip Factory here at WTHR-TV and use wiretap with it on our Smoke Linux.

I have been running Smoke for a while and don't even know what SLATE is. Lowres would be for proxy, which are normally 50% size. I can't see why you would want to really export anything by hires. If you are using Episode for conversion, then it would be the tool to compress your hires clip down.

We edit, mixdown the audio to 2 Ch stereo and then drop the clip into a watch folder project and then FF goes and grabs it for conversion.

If multi-channel audio works without mixdown, that would be a bigger plus than reading the other frame types. (and maybe multi-channel does work, and I have just been playing it safe)

Brian

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Kevin Louden
on May 8, 2012 at 6:05:30 pm

Thanks Brian,

That is great feedback, we really appreciate it. We are currently taking the HIRES track, and as you say any resizing needed can be done in Episode.

Kevin Louden
Product Manager | Episode
http://www.telestream.net

Return to posts index

robert coulin
on May 9, 2012 at 7:24:06 am

same here -
first time i hear about SLATE ...
like Brian is mentioning - could be for thumbnail display in library & desktop.
i would also doubt that these would be a quality, which i would want to export ...
if Lowres really corresponds to the (optional) proxies of a project, it could make sense to use them, if they have the right scaling already.

robert

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]