FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any idea as to why smoke is not on windows

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
Any idea as to why smoke is not on windows
on Apr 16, 2012 at 11:26:08 pm

It would be so awsome to see smoke work on an Hpz2080 with 12 cores and tons of ram and a couple of quadro 4k cards. Its not that Imac is bad but these days you cannot compare apple to no apples.

Why no windows?

RC

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
Re: Any idea as to why smoke is not on windows
on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:44:25 am

The Creative Finishing products such as Smoke and Flame were built on an architecture that is pretty similar to the Mac OS and Linux ones.

Therefore, doing a port to Mac and Linux was "easier" and much more natural than doing a port to Windows.

We are not currently developing a version of Smoke for Windows.

fred

-----

Frédéric Warren

Flame / Smoke Senior User Experience Designer
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:00:57 am

I can live with a linux version. Infact I thought that smoke ran on linux but not anymore.
Any plan to revive a linux version ?

RC

Return to posts index

Richard Lapthorn
on May 28, 2012 at 4:02:55 pm

That bought a small tear to my eye :(

Return to posts index

Ivo Icevski
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:59:49 am

Please do a Windows version, seriously guys. The application is godlike.

Return to posts index

Chris Brearley
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:03:12 am

Autodesk are crazy for not porting this to Windows, there is a huge market out there for them to tap into. I for one will not be touching a Mac due to the none-upgradeable nature of their hardware. Why would I want to be stuck with a couple of old firepros in 3 years time when I can bung in a couple of nVidia GTX 980s or whatever they will be called which are twice the speed? Don't get me started on their over-the-top pricing as well...

It gripes we when companies give the old excuse of it being easier to port from one platform to the other, it just reeks of short-sightedness and laziness. It's the same excuse as Adobe give for not porting to Linux (although I can see their argument a little bit more with Linux being a much smaller market share). Autodesk have no excuse for not bringing this to Windows. Half of Autodesk's catalogue of software runs on mulit-platforms anyway...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]