FORUMS: list search recent posts

Current version of Smoke trial before 2013?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Larson
Current version of Smoke trial before 2013?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:35:14 pm

I just saw the new version of Smoke announced at NAB this year and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the demo version in June. Until then, I was wondering if it would make sense for me to download the Smoke 2012 30-day trial software and start getting familiar with the software and interface?

A couple of questions:

1) has Smoke 2013 really "changed everything" to the point of interface/workflow that learning the old version will not be beneficial (Like Final Cut Pro 7 > FCPX)? From what I remember seeing in previous versions, the node compositing and interface look similar, but the timeline view is new.

2) Is Smoke 2012 still available for trial at this point? All the links I found were to Smoke 2013 (a link to the 2012 download would be great)

I know the learning curve is steep for Smoke, but this new version looks like it could be worth it.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Current version of Smoke trial before 2013?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:25:16 pm

Learning the current version will still benefit you greatly. What Autodesk seems to have done was retain what was great about Smoke (3D camera, tracking, color correction, node based compositing, etc.) but make the UI more editor-centric. One of my complaints has been the difficulty a new user faces when launching the program. I have a station here at the shop, and these improvements hopefully make it easier to get it into while still leaving available the things that set Smoke apart from Avid, Adobe, and Apple.

If you can find 2012 trial I would play with it, but it is a very steep learning curve. Hopefully these changes (along with the price) make it a more attractive option for some editors. If nothing else, you can watch through the tutorials online (or on YouTube - Grant Kay of the 4K Story has some great vids) and that would help.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:58:57 pm

I'm glad that Smoke 2013 hasn't changed a lot. The GUI is more streamlined, yet keeps most of the virtues of the old GUI such as clear, readable buttons.

The only real changes are the gateway/library and the new CFX which is actually a Batch that, as usual, includes Action. Action itself looks unchanged, that laos counts for the Modular Keyer and all (most) other modules.

Regarding your question: you will benefit a lot from Smoke 2012 when learning version 2013 is your aim. 85% seems to be identical, just redesigned.

The downside of all this: the learning curve will be probably almost as steep as it used to be. One more reason to start now.

Hans

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
on Apr 16, 2012 at 9:31:45 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I managed to track down Smoke for Mac 2012 SP3, install it, get it to output video through my Kona card and learned how to import video. I think that's pretty good start for my first day!

Looking forward to a confusing/frustrating/rewarding next 30 days

2 x3Ghz Quad MacPro
9 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5
FCP 6.0.5
AJA Kona 3 (6.0.1 drivers)
G-Speed XL 12 RAID

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Apr 17, 2012 at 2:48:14 am

Don't get discourage, it's not as hard as most people make it out to be. It took me about 4 months before i was comfortable working on client supervised sessions. Mind you, the gigs i was doing were pretty straight forward, conform-edit-tracking-roto-ColorCorrection-versioning....working mostly on shorts and commercials. I've been doing more docs and long form lately and have moved to Avid DS, just did not enjoy editing and color correction on Smoke, hopefully 2013 will change that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]