FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paint No More?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg gilpatrick
Paint No More?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:22:26 am

Is it just me or is Desktop Paint totally missing from the screenshots of the new Smoke? Desktop Paint is part of my everyday toolset. I assume that Batch Paint will be part of BFX...er...CFX but that is totally inferior to Desktop Paint.

Otherwise, the new Smoke looks like it could be good.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Paint No More?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:17:53 pm

The streaming presentation Monday morning showed the demonstrator creating some Paint elements.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

greg gilpatrick
on Apr 17, 2012 at 3:04:14 pm

Unfortunately, the only paint I saw during the demo is "Batch Paint", which is the vector paint tool inside CFX in the new Smoke. Every Flame and Smoke until this version had another Paint tool on the Desktop which is a raster Paint tool which is far more useful and important for VFX work. I don't see any other tools that have been removed from this version of Smoke so I'm hoping Desktop Paint is only hiding and hasn't been carted off to the big render farm in the sky.

Anybody from Autodesk want to weigh in on this?

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Apr 20, 2012 at 1:39:21 pm

You are correct. It is not in this alpha build. The guys at AD tell me there are absolutely aware of how important this is, but they have not found an elegant and intuitive way to integrate it into the new interface. They are trying to avoid the entire concept of Desktop Tools, to keep it easier for new users. But they don't want iSmoke, either.

There is much debate at AD about the best way to incorporate some of the necessary Desktop tools, but I don't think there is a debate about IF they should be there or not.

I am 99% sure we will have the raster paint tool one way or another.

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]