FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shot by Shot Color Correction in Soft FX?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jahns
Shot by Shot Color Correction in Soft FX?
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:40:29 pm

Hi.

Let's say you have 10 shots on your timeline, all on v1.1, and you want to do basic color grading of all ten shots.

Is there a way to step into CW mode and be able to move directly from shot to shot while staying in CW mode, and correcting whichever shot is active (without having to step out to the timeline and re-select the next shot)?

I swear I saw someone (in a tutorial) highlight all ten clips, and then co into CC or CW mode, and it acted just as I described, grading whichever shot they were parked on - but it's not working that way for me, and I can't find that particular tutorial anymore...

Any help?

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Anisa Jadwat-Reinecke
Re: Shot by Shot Color Correction in Soft FX?
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:35:14 pm

You could add colour correction as a gap effect.
Gaps are empty spaces in the timeline, normally transparent, unless you add an effect to it.
Add a video layer (not video track) above the clips you want to colour correct.
Add a splice on the gap layer at the start and end of the sequence you want to affect.
Add colour correction from the soft effects menu to the empty layer above the selected clips.
The gap effect can be trimmed, moved or copied.

For more info on gap effects, this is worth a look:
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk/timeline_101_gap_effects

Alternatively, you can copy the soft effect to the desktop & then apply it to multiple clips.
Apply the colour correction to one clip. Resize the timeline till you can see soft effect indicator on the clip in this instance CC. Hold ctrl & drag the indicator to the desktop. Select all the clips in the timeline that you want to apply the colour correction to. Drag the soft effect from the desktop onto one of the selected clips.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:43:15 pm

Hey David,

I just tried this and it works for me. (Running Smoke Premium 2012 SP3 on Linux)
Highlight the clips you want to CC.
Click on the CC soft effect to the left of the timeline.
All the highlighted clips should now have a CC soft effect on them.
With the clips still highlighted, click on the E button next to the CC button.
This takes you in the CC soft effect editor.
You can now scroll through your whole timeline in CC mode.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame
http://www.thereelthinginc.com

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:07:07 pm

Hi Moody. Thanks.

I just tried this. I highlighted 5 clips in the timeline, enabled CC, clicked E to enter the CW mode.

Made a correction to Shot #1, then scrolled down to shot #2 - and make an adjustment, it appears nothing is happening. What is actually happening is that I am further adjusting shot #1, (without any visual feedback, since I'm seeing #2).

Even if I step back out to the timeline, park on Shot #3, and then enter CC mode, I'm still adjusting Shot #1 I just tried de-selecting Shot #1, and then I'm adjusting #2, no matter where I am in the timeline - seems to always be adjusting the first shot that is selected.

Using Smoke Mac 2012 Subscrip Advantage Pack.

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

robert coulin
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:03:36 pm

hi,

partly possible -
ALT + Z / ALT + X (smoke hotkeys - not sure about FCP) brings to the previous/next CC without leaving the editor

robert

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:30:23 pm

Ah, yes - that's exactly it! Thanks, Robert!

I switched to the Smoke keyboard layout and that worked exactly as I wanted it to.

Just need to figure it if FCP has keys mapped to that, or if I need to customize it.

Thanks!!!

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:01:58 pm

Nice. For future reference...

In FCP keyboard,

Shift - [ is "previous Soft FX", and Shift - ] is "next Soft FX"

And just FYI - the selecting multiple clips step is necessary to add the initial CC, but once a CC is added, you can hop around to every clip (on the same focus layer) with a CC using those shortcuts - regardless of what was selected when you enter the CC module. Clips without a CC applied will be skipped, and to move up or down layers, you do need to exit back to the timeline.

Thanks again - this makes it SO much more useful as Color Grading tool!!

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]