FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes import not working

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Pennington
ProRes import not working
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:24:37 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Smoke, old to editing. I have clips that were imported via the Log & Transfer process in FCP from a compact flash card used in a Canon XF305, they were imported as ProRes 422 files. When I try to import them into Smoke the picture does not show up, just a white and grey checkerboard, but audio does remain.
I understand that Smoke will read the .mxf files natively, and that does work. I have a few cards whose contents were copied directly to hard drive and they can be opened up and imported, sidestepping the ProRes import with FCP. But I've got most of my footage as ProRes... so, unfortunately I'm new at the program, couple days in, so perhaps I'm missing something fundamental. I know that Smoke supports ProRes, scratching my head.

thanks for any and all help/suggestions,

Matt

Return to posts index

robert coulin
Re: ProRes import not working
on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:39:17 pm

hi,

usually the checkerboard comes up, if a codec isnt supported - this seems to be the case here, as the audio does show up, as you say.
im not familar with different prores flavours, but i thought, that all (incl 4:4:4:4) would be supported - can you import other files, like the mxf by drag&drop - or same problem?
or are you on linux?

robert

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:49:37 pm

Hi Robert,

Yes I can import .mxf files (raw Canon video camera files in this case) and .m4v's made for iPad use, but anything .mov that was ProRes in origin seems not to work. No luck with a 4:4:4 ProRes clip with alpha either.

I'm on a two year old Mac Pro.
I'm using the 30-day trial version of Smoke, SP3

thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:05:12 am

When I first installed the trial version, I could not get it to recognize ProRes files either. Other codecs were just fine - Uncompressed, DV, etc...

After days of troubleshooting & tech support via a reseller, they hooked me up with Autodesk, who did a remote screen sharing session and poked around under the hood, and they could not figure it out either.

All we could think to do was a complete clean install on a fresh system drive - new from OS on up. It's a pain the rear, of course, but it worked fine after that.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it worked for me...

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

robert coulin
on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:19:16 am

hi,
just to make sure - zou are using drag&drop import - not VideoIO > Import Media ?
prores is only supported through the gateway.

when browsing in the gateway to the QTs - what info do you get (in the right side player)? - worst case, as mentioned, it might be a faulty installation with some corruption, although ive never seen such myself ...
- then i would reinstall ...

robert

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:24:36 am

Something I have run into is that some software can break the connection to the codec in the application. SP1 seems to fix this, but we ran into it when a customer installed Avid MC 6.0 on the machine in question. I'd reinstall the Smoke application and try again if you have had any kind of editing/code packs installed since the demo was installed. I know that's not a lot to go on, but as soon as we reinstalled, it worked fine.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:31:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was away for a week but now getting back to this. My trial is over (on my computer) but I successfully installed it on another, and ProRes files were working - for a bit, until the software crashed. But the thumbnails for two ProRes files were not the empty checkerboard images that they had been on my system, so I see that our files will work with Smoke.

However, something is amiss with permissions or something, because a notice pops up that Wiretap or something needs permission to access these files... And I see that the data drive where I'm pointing Smoke to is listed as (READ ONLY) in red lettering. Could it be that the our drives are set up in a way that is inhospitable for Smoke?

Also, must say, since I'm coming from the NLE world and adobe, the interface for Smoke is as every one knows a bit daunting at first. I don't have a problem with that, but if I can't even get the application to work (crashing), then we have a problem here. I can handle a new GUI, but don't ask me to troubleshoot software that I don't know yet just to get it working. Premiere Pro here I come? please no,

thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]