FORUMS: list search recent posts

What size Wacom do you use?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Holloway
What size Wacom do you use?
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:13:25 pm

I'm curious as to what size Wacom most folks are using with Smoke. They have a medium size that is 9x6 inches, large that is 13x8, both of which are USB, and there is a Bluetooth version that is 8x5.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: What size Wacom do you use?
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:27:39 pm

I use the Medium. Keep in mind that the 9x6 is the area where your pen goes. The actual size of the whole device is larger than that - 14"x10". I have a small desktop area so the medium worked well. I also have a keyboard, mouse and Avid MC Color panel sharing real estate. So the medium worked well for me.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.com
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 5:35:58 pm

I use a medium. I've thought about getting a large, but have never gotten around to it. I think it really depends on how you like to work. If you use the keyboard alot, or have a color panel, then I think a large would be too big. I use the keyboard a fair amount, and with the medium, I hardly have to reach at all to use the keyboard. I suppose the length of your arms could be a factor also... :)

moody glasgow
smoke/flame
http://www.thereelthinginc.com

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:01:45 am

Medium here too. In years past, especially in Flame rooms, I would see more large tablets used. I've used them, but IMHO you will get tennis elbow in short order. Being freelance, I use what's there and I even have one artist that I cover for that uses the small tablet, but I can't say I'm a fan.
As a lefty, I like the older tablets, as I'm always leaning on buttons on the left of the tablet on the Intuous 4's, which I'm certain still have an effect, even with tablet buttons set to "off" in preferences. I've been told the tablet can be flipped 180degrees, but I've never tried it (disadvantage of not having my own room anymore). Also, I find setting the tablet proportions to 5% helpful (again in preferences), as it makes swiping to the left of right easier. -TomT

Return to posts index

Ben Rojas
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:54:38 am

Got spoiled w/all that landscape sometime back; so I went large went I spec'd my Smoke on Mac last year. I've got a 30" monitor so the large Wacom feels right, but if I had something smaller or even dual 22"'s like I have at home, I'd go med.

Ben Rojas
Editor|Artist|Dir. of Post Production
KSC KREATE
3850 N 28th Ter. Ste. 101
Hollywood, FL. 33020
P. 954.326.7600
F. 954.326.7766
C. 305.301.2771
E. ben.rojas@ksckreate.com
http://www.ksckreate.com

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:30:58 am

I've got the 27" Cinema Display. I really like the idea of the Bluetooth version but it's 1" smaller than the medium Wacom. Not sure if that will be a let down given that I'd be working at 2560x1440 on the 27".

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:40:40 pm

I'm not sure the bluetooth version would work with Smoke. Double check.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:58:25 pm

Hi Brian -

Good point. Also, which size Wacom do you use at WTHR? Are you working on a 30", 27", or multiple smaller monitors?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 3, 2012 at 1:08:05 pm

My first smoke had the medium SD size Wacom, which was fine as the UI was still setup for 4x3is ratio.

In 2008 I believe they expanded the UI to fill the entire screen the the Wacoms became the larger 16x9 ratio large size.

I am running an Inuits4 with a MBP for Smoke on Mac, for demo purposes.

I have 24" graphics monitor at WTHR. Shipped with the HP9400.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 3, 2012 at 4:45:35 pm

The medium and large Wacom's are both 16x9 aspect now. I was thinking perhaps the medium would take up less desk real-estate and possibly still feel comfortable to work with. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like folks prefer the large Wacom.

I'm also running Smoke for Mac (for educational purposes) on my MBP which is attached to a 27" Cinema Display. Obviously this is nowhere close to a production setup, but for learning it is perfect at this point. I keep my footage on an external FW800 G-Raid. I just purchased the Logic Keyboard Smoke keyboard for Mac.

Return to posts index

Marino Di Napoli
on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:06:41 pm

My preference is the large tablet. The larger size allows me to make finer adjustments without constantly zooming.
The smaller ones made my wrist sore. I also use the copy function mapped to the button.

It could also be that its the first tablet I used, and got used to it.

Return to posts index

Mike Mendoza
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:04:24 am

In my whacky adventures as a freelance professional, I have worked at a variety of places. I have had the opportunity to work at multi million dollar post houses on one end, and at times at places with literally one room and an all-in-one edit/design/composite station. Somehow in the end, it always seems to work out.

Take for an example... I work with a small facility that has Smoke 2012 and their Wacom recently died. Now they are making it work with a $40 (8x6) drawing tablet from Monoprice.com. (not an ad or promotion here)

The tablet is a bit compact and the wireless pen uses a "battery".
But go figure... it works. Strange world.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]