FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Options

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Jones
Rendering Options
on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:53:42 pm

Hi, does Smoke on Mac allow you to change the rendering codec?
I know the Smoke on Linux will render in Smoke's native format which is dpx files. If the Smoke on Mac does the same then doesn't it require a pretty fast expensive storage connection like fibre channel?

I'm worried that if I've had a long prores clip and add a simple colour correction then Smoke will turn this into sequential dpx files for play out and isn't the bandwidth for that massive?

Have I understood this correctly or am I missing something?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Rendering Options
on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:05:54 pm

You understood correctly. Smoke will render out in its native dpx sequence.
So yes, you do need fast storage. I think the reccomended bandwidth is 500 mb/s.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:54:26 am

Smoke on a Mac can render pretty much any QT codec. Smoke 2012 with subscription pack can even render Prores QT. So, no, Smoke can do much more, than just DPX or TIFF. On another hand, Smoke on Linux can't render Prores, because Linux doesn't support it.

Return to posts index

chris north
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:10:54 am

By default though, Smoke for Mac uses Compressor to do the actual compression? On the system I've got it only provides for Mp4 or uncompressed output out of the box.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:47:26 pm

As I already said, Smoke 2012 with subscription pack can export pretty much any codec, including Prores. No separate compressor needed. Just select export and select the desired codec. Regular Smoke 2012 can render "only" 8 and 10 bit YUV or RGB QT uncompressed, but no Prores.

Return to posts index

John Jones
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:16:18 am

Thanks, what are the low cost storage raid options for stable playback and play out to tape? I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid fibre channel and use something like the Pegasus over thunderbolt? Would it be fast enough?

John

Return to posts index

robert coulin
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:41:40 am

hi,

if i understand right, you would like to know the "internal" render format of smoke (not the export options)?
by default smoke will render dpx for 8/10/12u bit and raw for 12 & 16float bit.
you can set different options in an advanced config, like tif or jpg - but as "primary format" dpx is quite good, as it is uncompressed (not "lossless") & easy/fast convertable into the export codecs.

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index

John Jones
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:11:54 am

Yes you are right, it's the internal render formats and not export I was thinking about.
I was hoping that if I had a long prores soft import on the timeline and it's rendered ( e.g. because of a color correction or axis fx) I could choose the render format that the system uses. I would like to select something like Prores or DNxHD or XDcam 50. It's not just output to tape, I would like to avoid dropped frames when playing on the timeline.
The reason for this is that I want to attach an economically priced raid array but perhaps I'm worried over nothing and in practice the playback of dpx files is not a big deal for Smoke.

John

Return to posts index

chris north
on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:16:42 pm

You could always use Proxies too, for more reliable playback on a slower system?

Return to posts index

John Jones
on Nov 11, 2011 at 2:15:44 pm

Thanks for all your replies.
So are you all using fibre channel to connect to your raid arrays?

John

Return to posts index

chris north
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:22:37 pm

I'm using a GRaid 2TB Raid on SATA2. Throughput is about 240 mb/s. This is lower than recommended by Autodesk but seems to work ok (I'm only evaluating the software at the moment so it's not being used in production). Switching to Proxy also increases performance greatly.

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:49:49 pm

If you want to use Smoke for real productions, e.g. client supervised sessions or you are a demanding filmmaker by your self and want to leverage Smoke's high potential, then a fast array is unavoidable. I use a Areca SAS 12x 1TB Raid in Raid6 and it's fast enough, +/- 800 MB/s. Don't go much under 500 MB/s. Smoke creates tons of DPX sequences in its Stone. As the Array fills up it will become considerably slower. And there are latencies that might bring down the real world performance even more down. The rule of thumb is that your Array should be able to stream two uncompressed streams of the format you are working with. In SD this would be roughly 80 MB/s for 1080p at least 400 MB/s.

Hans

Return to posts index

robert coulin
on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:10:17 pm

hi,

">>>As the Array fills up it will become considerably slower. And there are latencies that might bring down the real world performance even more down. ..."

this had been the main advantage of the good old stone filesystem ("which was considered way too expensive ...") - i did have occasions, where i got the message "0 frames free", when rendering, and still playback & performance was as expected!
also deleting & loading new footage wouldnt cause noticable performance drop, even over 1 year or more!

i think Quantels filesystem had similar behaviour - currently you can get BrightTech on Rorke Aurora RAIDs, which deliver a rather consistent performance - of course, they arent cheap ... -

but you can also use an internal 3disk stripe - depending on your expectations ...

robert

robert coulin
http://www.dreamwalks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]