FORUMS: list search recent posts

Things Smoke can do best

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corinna Canek
Things Smoke can do best
on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:36:23 am

HI,
I'm fairly new to Smoke and I try to find out the things, Smoke can do best.
So I know the Master Keyer is very good, as well as the CC. Also doing Rotoscopes. What else?
(Maybe, what is your company doing inside of the Smoke Applictaion?)

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Things Smoke can do best
on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:48:09 pm

Have you seen my reel?

Everything was done in smoke except the 3D 13 Logo. Obviously some elements like textures and other .psd elements were imported. and this was with 2011. So add the new 2012 features and next years reel will be sizzling.

I edit everything inside Smoke.. so no offline, no edl/xml - so I edit and finish simultaneously.

It is good at 3D compositing, and frankly it's a good editor... it's just normally marketed that way. But I think Smoke for Mac will change that.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Corinna Canek
on Nov 3, 2011 at 12:58:41 pm

Wow, pretty nice!

But Smoke doesn't have particles, so how did you create the smoke effect in the beginning, and the clouds and lightning with the weather guy?

Return to posts index

Corinna Canek
on Nov 3, 2011 at 2:17:31 pm

And how are you doing thoe nice glows? I just tried it within action. I added a light to the scene. To that light I added a lens flare where I only kept the glow and the streak, and then I wanted to add rays. But as soon as I move the light, the rays go somewhere else. I tried to connect an axis node to control light and rays at the same time, but that didn't work.
But also, since I added a light into the scene, the entire picture is being affected...How can I control, that the glow is only moving over an edge (like in your video)?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:28:25 pm

Some of the Glows are from Gen Arts Sapphire Sparks (plug ins)
This was all done pre-2012.
If you have the 2012 SAP release of Smoke then it has a new Blooming node, which does nice glows.

With FLAMEFX Glow you can do these things but you have to do them in steps. So you need to render out a matte of your 3D text, and then maybe combine that with a gmask to mask off parts of it, have the mask animate, then comp a glow over your rendered result from Action and the matte output using Flame FX glow with Front/Matte.

You can add Rays together with Lens Flare to a light. The Rays have a pivot point as does the lens Flare. You can copy/link with expression those pivot points which might help. (Chanel Editor)

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Corinna Canek
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:28:53 pm

But it's not possible to animate a light along a 3D path inside of action?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:27:42 pm

Yes it is. parent the path node to the light (solid white line)

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Corinna Canek
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:59:49 am

That's what I tried... But the light is always leaving the path (in a total random fashion). The paths properties is set to align to path. I also had my friend try it out (who works with smoke since one year) and he also said, that it didn't work for him... I'm working on SMAC 2012 Advantage Pack

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Nov 4, 2011 at 2:12:54 pm

[Corinna Canek] "That's what I tried... But the light is always leaving the path (in a total random fashion). The paths properties is set to align to path. I also had my friend try it out (who works with smoke since one year) and he also said, that it didn't work for him... I'm working on SMAC 2012 Advantage Pack"

Lights have a default Z position of 100. That's why it doesn't sit on the path. Reset the Z position to 0 and it will lock to the path.

I also aligned to Z axis.

Tell your friend. :) I can make a video to show you if needed.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:21:46 pm

Smoke was just a video clip.
Lightning was Gen Arts Sapphire
Cloud was Particle illusion render I think.

Brian Mulligan

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Nov 3, 2011 at 5:08:52 pm

What I think Smoke / Flame does best. (or the tools I can't live without)

1. Color Correction. The Color Warper is great. It uses the flame's diamond keyer to select color ranges for color correction. My favorite tool, I use it all the time.

2. Paint. The Paint tool is awesome. Auto Paint is amazing. Create paint strokes, animate them, track them into a scene... My other favorite tool.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Nov 5, 2011 at 1:30:18 pm

I make films, shot with a camera, I rarely do motion graphics, etc... Here are the reasons why I switched form FCP and Shake to Smoke:

Smoke can do all I have to accomplish in one single application, editing, compositing/finishing and sound design. Productivity is significantly higher than before and I don't have to worry about timeline codecs, gamma shifts, etc...

For an NLE Smoke is particular good at sound design, a field most potential Smoke users oversee.

On the video side I like Action's new re-lighting tool set a lot and use it very often. I also use the modular keyer for defocus applications and text animations, comes in handy as a mini Batch - often underestimated.

Modular Keyer in Action is a very powerful green screen compositing tool. Also great for sky replacement tasks and luminance keys. Particularly the Pixel-Spread node is a very useful addition in 2012 and very often in use.

The CW is my favourite colour corrector. With it's ability to separately blur luminance masks according to their values (blacks, mids, higlights) pleasing skin tones and roll-offs on the whites are easily to achieve. Not to mention the matching capabilities.

Smoke's Paint tool is very good at a selective sharpening when the focus has been missed a tad. Of course there are many other application possibilities.

Last but not least is Smoke's archiving procedure the best in the industry. Very reliable and easy to manage.

Installed on a powerful MacPro with a Nividia 4000 and a fast Raid there is no other NLE that comes close to Smoke. The ideal machine for a video junkie like me.

Hans

Return to posts index

Corinna Canek
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:16:27 am

Thanks Hans von Sonntag, that was a preety good insight. I'm just wondering, do you never have issues with your audio?
I'm on SMAC 2012 Advantage pack, and I'm using the Kona 3G. But most of the time I don't even have any audio (cause it's just not outputting any sound), and when it does work, it's either loosing the audio pretty quickly (so I have to switch around in the audio preferences, to get it to work again for a couple of minutes), or the audio is out of sync (it's not really out of sync, it just sounds like it...).

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:08:51 am

Hi Corinna,

Excuse the pun but it sounds like there is an audio configuration on your system.

One issue which may cause the issue is that your mac system is set to use the Kona 3G as the overall system sound. The reason why I think that is you said sometimes your audio is there and other times it disappears and it sounds very familiar to me.

Try this.

Shut Smoke down and go to the System Preferences and choose SOUND. For OUTPUT, set your audio to internal speakers and for INPUT, set your audio to Audio line-in port.

Close the preferences and start Smoke again. Smoke should now hold the audio all the time and not fight with OS X for the sound controls.

Hopefully that should sort you out!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - SMOKEHOWTOS
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:09:57 am

Hi Corinna,

Regrading your audio issues:

Smoke is very picky regarding drivers, system and hardware. It surely is not plug'n play as FCP is, for instance.

I had many issues on my way in the last 2 years with Smoke on Mac. A few were bug related, most of them hardware, driver and system related. Please note that Smoke on the Mac is the first finishing application by Autodesk which does not come as a turn-key system. It needs some care and basic knowledge to make it work well.

First of all I would check your hardware. Is it compliant with Autodesk's recommendations? There are many who try to use Smoke on a MacBook, iMac, etc... and have issues. Autodesk is not recommending such boxes. Smoke needs a beefy workstation with a fast GPU and tons of RAM.

Since Smoke works with uncompressed RGB files (DPX) you need a very fast HD. I know by trail and error that a 250 MB/sec read array won't cut it, although it is within the specs. I have a 800 MB/sec Raid6 array that is doing the job just fine. For RT- playback you need a lot of overhead to deal with latencies etc....

Don't use a system that is not supported. In the moment Autodesk recommends 10.6.7. Anything else might give you problems.

Don't use the newest drivers for your Kona card. They might be too new and not tested by Autodesk. I use a Kona 3 (no G) and use an legacy driver from 2010 which works well.

Smoke needs a manual IP address. Don't use DHCP. The Gateway is a very picky little puck. In the moment I have problems with importing audio via the Gateway. Importing audio files via the legacy way (IO in the Library) solves this problem. That also counts for DPX that show a wrong timebase in their header.

If you have that all sorted out and you still have problems let us know.

Hans

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:16:45 am

Grant Kay wrote: "Shut Smoke down and go to the System Preferences and choose SOUND. For OUTPUT, set your audio to internal speakers and for INPUT, set your audio to Audio line-in port.

Close the preferences and start Smoke again. Smoke should now hold the audio all the time and not fight with OS X for the sound controls."

Good point!

Your second sentence works well with a "should". Unfortunately Smoke loses sound on-again-off-again. Not regularly but every second day once. Audio sounds distorted when it happens. I'm on 2012 Ext.1.

Hans

Return to posts index

Corinna Canek
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:41:42 pm

Yes, that's what I'm getting too, this distorted sound... My Mac Pro has everything Autodesk recomends...

Another question, since you seem to be pretty good with audio, I was always wondering how I can achieve this muffled sound from a telephone or mailbox. I'm not good with the audio tools. I was playing around trying to achieve this effect, but nothing came close...

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Nov 7, 2011 at 1:49:58 pm

Corinna wrote: "...I was always wondering how I can achieve this muffled sound from a telephone or mailbox...."

I guess you know how to access Smoke's audio-fx tools.

The idea is to mimic the frequency spectrum that remains when using a phone. To suppress all those frequencies that typically don't make it through the wire/air use the EQ in Smoke's Audio Softeffects. First off all supressing all beyond 2.000 Hz makes sense. Also everything above 8.000 would add to the muffled feeling.

Last but not least those devices create some delay as well. Check out Delay for this task.

Finally, the dynamics of such audio sources are very flat. To flatten that try Smoke's Compressor. Use Gain to bring loudness down to the natural perception in the scene.

Lastly, use Reverb (value of 0 is already a lot of reverb, I think Autodesk got the numbers wrong here) to bring the sound into the scene's perspective.

Hans

Return to posts index

Andriy Toloshnyy
on Nov 12, 2011 at 1:18:16 am

Hi Hans!

Can you tell more about selective sharpening?
I'm quite new to Smoke.
I did some of this in Shake using a mask tracked to the eyes of the subject.
What a technique you're using in Paint to do this?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Nov 12, 2011 at 11:45:36 am

"..Can you tell more about selective sharpening? What a technique you're using in Paint to do this?.."

One of the great things about Smoke's Paint module is the ability to load filters in the "pen". In the moment I'm not sitting in front of my Smoke, so I cannot give you a detailed description. But if you follow Grant's great tutorial about Paint you will get quickly an idea how to use Paint. Instead of loading a colour load a filter (choose sharpen_light) and you will see how easily subtle selective sharpening can be achieved - the filter is pressure sensitive. Of course the opposite is possible as well, then choose blur.

Hope that helps,

Hans

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]