FORUMS: list search recent posts

smoke on mac , which mac ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andi no
smoke on mac , which mac ?
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:27:32 am

hi, i'm curious if any of smoke on mac user can share experiences about the mac system. I'm putting mac pro vs new 27inch imac i7 quadcore for comparison. Yes definitely mac pro got more cores and speed, but lack of thunderbolt. Also mac pro have flexibility to upgrade to quadro card. In the other side , the imac which graphic card is not upgradable and also got limited RAM up to maximum 16gb only, but the cool thing is it got thunderbolt ports which u can got very fast thunderbolt storage like pegasus RAID r4/r6.

So, Anyone got experiences on this matter ? do u think more cores and quadro is better option compare to the fast thunderbolt things ? I saw a video on the net showing autodesk guy doing some demo of SMAC using fast pegasus RAID ... pretty impresive. Also imac setup is half the price. so u can get two, then setup cluster / distributed BURN OR spend the money for pegasus RAID. Also i read on article on the net , that the pegasus RAID in some task is faster than SSD. If any of u got real experiences, pls share here.

head to head :
macpro - more cores, upgradable to quadro, more RAM.
imac - very fast thunderbolt port, half the price (can spend the budget for either getting two imac and setup renderfarm OR buy fast thunderbolt storage).

any suggestion will be great.

Thanx

Return to posts index

greg gilpatrick
Re: smoke on mac , which mac ?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:52:38 pm

I have not used Smoke on an iMac. Based on my experience, I would recommend going with the Mac Pro and a SAS RAID. It is much more expensive but it is tested and approved. Especially if you are doing client-attended sessions and/or tape layoffs, you are going to want the reliability and performance of SAS.

You also will be able to install a Quadro GPU into the Mac Pro, which will help a lot with Smoke. The one time I tried using Smoke with a consumer-grade GPU, it was almost unusable. Even drawing a Gmask in Action was unbearably slow. I'm not saying all consumer GPUs are like that but if you're building a mission-critical system that you will charge for by the hour, why risk it?

The Mac Pro will also give you much more options for expanding your system with video cards, internal SSDs, a huge amount of RAM, etc.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:24:03 pm

Some people have had much better performance using Radeon cards vs. Quadro's...

Here is a thread about it:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/159/856803

The official word is that Smoke on Mac is not quite Cuda optimized yet:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/159/856847

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

andi no
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:03:55 pm

Hi Moody thanx a lot for the links, yes i already got that links before i wrote my post. That are the good points : someone done some test and found out radeon beat quadro, then officially said that smoke not yet CUDA optimized. Well, i'm waiting from another second opinion or maybe another different experience :)

Thanx

Return to posts index

andi no
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:22:06 pm

Hi Greg, i agree with u in term of power , no doubt. Mac Pro and another certified stuff will be great and just like u said it's tested and approved. But what make me think twice is there are a lot of rumors about the thunderbolt = death of mac pro. I'm thinking of long term investment. There are a lot of rumor that thunderbolt won't be applied on mac pro, not even a PCIe version will be available (officially stated by intel if i'm not mistaken but i forgot the link - the thunderbolt tech can not be applied on PCIe , it has to be on board). So maybe apple will add muscle on imac and kill mac pro ??? just like apple kill shake, they'll be happy to sell iphone/ipad rather than spend money for research/development of shake ...

That what i really concern about. Sorry it's just my another thought

Anyway ... Thanx a lot for sharing :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]