FORUMS: list search recent posts

some general questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick van den Berg
some general questions
on Sep 18, 2011 at 7:21:24 pm

Hi,

i think i need to be pointed in the right direction here.

im a ''professional'' video editor since a few weeks, and for animation/compositing i use adobe after effects at the moment.

it happens pretty often that i have to key footage and composite backgrounds and stuff. I know there are alot more compositing programs like combustion, smoke, flame, nuke etc. I just wondered if it would be useful to learn for example smoke. I also wondered what exactly the advantages are from smoke/nuke compared to after effects.

also, i was curious if someone here knows how this was made

(for example @ 2:02)
i know its made in front of a greenscreen(only the lights are ''real'') but the shadows/reflections are incredible realistic. i always just duplicate,flip and blur the original footage for things like that, but im never really satisfied with the result. is easier to do with smoke or nuke?

maybe some courses somewhere on the web wich you can recommend me for achieving such great results?

greetings,
Rick

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: some general questions
on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:48:18 am

There is a lot of how Smoke works on The-Area.com.
In the video above, it looks looks more like the floor they are on is real as well. This is why the reflections and shadows are so good.

Since the entire scene is somewhat 'greyscale' it would be easy to deal with green spill.

AE is a layer based compositor where Nuke, Flame/Smoke , Combustion are Node based.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Rick van den Berg
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:39:10 pm

heard about the area, but forgot it , thanks! Btw, im pretty sure the floor was also greenscreen ( saw some making-of footage).

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:06:36 pm

The floor is reflective but not for chroma key. So just CC on the spill. I had to look up the making of to verify.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]