FORUMS: list search recent posts

autodesk smoke shortcuts

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
donovan dsa
autodesk smoke shortcuts
on Sep 5, 2011 at 12:10:23 am

hello,
what is the smoke hotkey for "cut to selection". under a fcp user profile on mac os it wld be alt b..so what would be the cut to selection shortcut for smoke in linux but using a macbook pro keyboard.. also wht is the cut hotkey on the mackeyboard( not in fcp user profile)

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: autodesk smoke shortcuts
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:24:29 am

Hi Donovan,

To cut to selection is as follows:

FCP hotkeys ----- ALT+B
Smoke Hotkey --- ALT+"DELETE" button

NOTE: the "DELETE" HOTKEY I am referring to is the button in the "DELETE" button next to the END button and PAGE DOWN buttons....... This is on a standard macpro keyboard

However this particular button is not on the macbook pro keyboard since this was originally associated with Linux Smoke. This is not a problem for the FCP hotkeys. But if you want to use the Smoke hotkeys with macbook pro the function could be remapped.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - CREATIVEFINISHING
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

donovan dsa
on Sep 5, 2011 at 4:49:21 pm

hi grant,
thanks for the reply, big fan of ur blog and tutorials..another dumb question..whats the best way to remap the linux smoke hotkeys for a macbook pro keyboard atleast the basic ones like cut, cut to selection, n the ones tht use right control (which the macbook pro doesnt have) etc lik mark out..im a beginner and practising on a macbook pro but in the studio im workin on linux..so i dont want to get confused with the hotkeys..i tried remappying hotkeys like cut for example to DELETE but they dont get saved because delete is being used for undo im guessing..whts the best non messy way to do it. thanks.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Sep 6, 2011 at 8:30:46 am

Hi Donovan,

The only way to do that is to call up the hotkey editor and look for an available hotkey combination that you could use to remap the keys. It is extremely difficult because most conceivable hotkeys have already been taken.

I mean you can scroll through the list and find some obscure ones, delete them and remap the available hot keys to the delete button. If it works for you than great. If you totally mess it up than just create a new user with Smoke hotkeys and you are back to square one to try again.

Silly question, but did you know that you can use the FCP hotkeys on the Linux systems as well? Its just a case of simply creating a user on the Linux boxes with the FCP hotkeys. When other users use the same machine, they can switch to their user with their hotkeys.

If Autodesk certifies the macbook pro as a proper system to run Smoke, than they will have to address the hotkey issue. However I cannot confirm whether or not this will happen.

Another suggestion I have thought about while typing is to attach a full size mac keyboard (wireless/blue tooth/etc) to your macbook pro and than you could use those hotkeys too.

Hope these suggestions help.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel - CREATIVEFINISHING
Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/discreetuk

Return to posts index

donovan dsa
Re: navigating subdirectories for archiving
on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:02:18 pm

hi grant,
your video on archiving is really helpful but what is confusing is actually navigating to the directories to where you want to archive the project. for example when a disk is mounted how do we exactly navigate to that directory( in the tutorial the path/directory was already given/selected)the interface and names of directories get confusing when you are used to windows. any videos or suggestions that address this? thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]