FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy editing on Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gergo Szabo
Proxy editing on Smoke
on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:45:02 pm

Hi,

I have just started to learn the smoke. I have found many great tutorials about "How to begin" but I have a simple question. What happens If you vanna edit an HD (or bigger) footage for example on a MBP or an iMac and you don't have enough resources for the fluid work. Could you make SD proxies inside the Smoke and reconnect the HD material if the editing is ready.

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Proxy editing on Smoke
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:45:51 pm

Depending on where you source material is... YES.
My station shoots P2 and we store the raw clips on USB hard drives. I then use the Gateway to import the clips, but just point to the media on the usb drive. Now USB won't play HD in real time, so I enable the project with proxies. My proxies are at 50% width, so a 1920x1080 clip is only a 960x540 proxy. You can even go smaller is needed.
The proxy is then the only thing stored on the framestore.

When you process your timeline, those processed frames form CC, and AX and Action will be processed on the framestore also. But for short-form work like spots and small features, you are only talking seconds of Full Rez HD being put on the framestore.

Proxy work is very easy and transparent, you can at anytime work with proxies and if you need to see the full rez, you can and it is just showing you the video via USB... and then pulling the full res for the final process.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:01:19 pm

First of all Thanks Brian for the quick answer.

The source material here is always different. Most of the time it's XDCAM (EX), HDSLR or ProRes (from KiPro).

So as you realize I don't work with 2k or higher res. files.

My simple question is. How do you enable the proxies? I know how to load the files to the Desk but this proxy editing is new for me. We have just started to work with HD materials.

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 4, 2011 at 9:46:50 pm

So WHERE is the media coming from? SAN? USB hard drive?

When you start a project...to the right there is a proxy option. It defaults to off. Just click the blue pop up. I set my to:

Conditional
width >720
50% size
Draft

Proxies are then created in the background when you import clips. (gateway import) When you work with them, you can choose Proxies or Full rez in the player.
In Action you can hit CTL-P, this will enable proxy use in action and increase speed of the UI.
Some modules like Keyer, and stablizers don;t use the proxies, as you need the full media to get good results. But the full media will just be loaded as needed from wherever the media is.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Gergo Szabo
on Sep 10, 2011 at 5:04:53 pm

Thanks. It was a great answer.

As I realized the Smoke made .dpx files for proxies, am I wrong? Can I change It or this is the default and only one option?

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]