FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips not linking

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Chin
Clips not linking
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:24:58 pm

Hi guys,

Quick question: I've edited a short-form piece in Smoke for Mac, and I've gone back to do some changes about a week later. This time, though, my clip libraries are not linking to the gateway clips. I originally soft-imported via the gateway all of the clips (as they are already on my internal raid) and made a clip library. Now when I launch Smoke, all of the clip icons are the checkered grey/white, and do not connect back through the gateway to the orig files.

I can still browse through the gateway and play back the orig clips, but the clips in the library are not linking. I've tried the relink tool with the relink from gateway and "clip name" selected, but this does not reconnect them. I suppose I could re-import the clips into a new library and then to a clip replace, but as there are over 500 shots, I don't want to do that.

I should mention that I've had lots of troubles with the gateway because of my buildings internet being frequently changed, so my IP address is often being modified. But as I'm running a standalone license, I essentially just use the gateway to soft-import from my internal drives. This issue, though, seems to not be the gateway, as I can browse the gateway network fine - it's just the library clips do not want to link to them.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
BRIAN

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Clips not linking
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:55:07 pm

If your IP is changing... then that's why your clips aren't linking because Gateway is IP based. Having a static IP will keep this from happening. But that doesn't really help your current situation.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Brian Chin
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:11:45 pm

Thanks, Brian.

Yeh - that makes sense, and I'll change it to a static IP. But even with the IP reconfigurations, I'm still able to (with some finesse and often restarted some background services) access my internal drives with via the gateway. (I would like to express some frustration in this system for standalone licenses...)

Any idea why the relink from gateway tool doesn't do anything? I mean, I suppose that smoke might not understand it as a linking problem because the icons don't say "unlinked media" like they sometimes do, it's just the grey/white checkerboard. So perhaps the relink tool isn't going to do anything because it thinks it's linked fine?

May be time to try out my autodesk subscription...

Thanks for your help,
BRIAN

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:21:37 am

Yes, the relinking tool isn't doing anything because the clips are still linked.. just offline.

You need to UNLINK them, then relink them using the relink from Gateway.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Brian Chin
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:26:14 pm

Thanks for your help, Brian.

I got on the phone with Autodesk today, and indeed the DHCP ip configuration is definitely the problem. And that will be fixed.

In the meanwhile, though, they had no suggestions on how to reconnect my offline media. The unlink/relink option that you suggested does in fact relink the clips to the source files, but they don't conform back onto the timeline as the file names are now appended with a "-Rlk". Also, you can unlink as many files as you want, but you can only relink one clip at a time.

So now I guess I'm just re-loading all the relinked clips onto the EditDesk and then doing replace edits... if there's a smarter way, I'd love to hear about it! Thanks!

BRIAN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]