FORUMS: list search recent posts

A few questions.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jake blackstone
A few questions.
on Jun 21, 2011 at 12:13:31 am

I'm new to Smoke. As I'm slowly learning it, I'm occasionally confronted with various detours in the workflow. So, I'd like to see, if I could get a few answers or at least, may be, I could be pointed in the right direction.
I'm a colorist and I'm always looking into a way to roundtrip the material between NLE, such as FCP, color grading software, such as Resolve, Scratch or in my case, FilmMaster. After color grading I'd like to be able to import the project into the Smoke for a VFX, sound design and a final finish. I can use an EDL or soon, even an XML to get the project into the grading timeline. After grading I can export my graded material in DPX form, with every event saved in the separate folder. From my past experience in working with Lustre I was able to import those kind of folders into the timeline with each folder representing a separate event. Is it possible to do the same import in Smoke? Is there a way to do the auto detect of the events, like in Lustre? Is it possible to use an EDL to do a reverse assemble from a rendered timeline? If you have a better idea as to how I can get a project from FCP to color grading and finally, into Smoke, with events intact, that would be great.
Also, a quick question. In order to get the material into the Action, I use a cursor to select a file, that is on the desktop. Is it possible to do the same with the scene, that is a part of a timeline only and is not on the desktop?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: A few questions.
on Jun 21, 2011 at 7:43:54 pm

I'll answer the last one. You need to COPY your sequence of shots or layers to the desktop and then you can load it into Action like a standard clip.

As far as the rest of your question. XML from FCP7 workflow is pretyy solid. Not sure about your DPX question. But i'm guessing it's doable. you might want to try asking on The-Area.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]