FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Workflow?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Richardson
4K Workflow?
on May 19, 2011 at 4:42:50 pm

Hi,

I've been asked to Grade & complete a film using the 4K RED Raw files on which it was shot.

I am upgrading to Smoke2012 tomorrow, running on a HP xw8600 Workstation, which I am told will be able to complete the job.

This will be my first experience of using RED files and a full 4K seq. I have used 4K before, but within a HD sequence & know how sluggish the system can be. The DIT on the film has suggested doing the whole film in 2K using DPX files which he will convert using an XML from the offline and the new Storm program which he has been trialing.

Obviously the producers want to use 4K, but I'm concerned about how slow this may be.

Can anybody give me some advice on this and possible a good workflow to use please? If the producers are insistent on 4K, then what is the best way of me getting everything into the system in a way that means I can work with it & view the footage?

I hope this makes sense!!!

Kind Regards

Claire

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: 4K Workflow?
on May 27, 2011 at 11:26:38 pm

The problem with grading in Smoke (as a timeline soft effect) is sluggish interactivity. I just grabbed a 4K clip and played around... it's pretty slow (unlike using CC module which leverages the GFX card). Great for tidying up shots here and there, but I think it would be maddeningly difficult to grade an entire feature. I would even say it's completely unworkable for all intents and purposes.

Better options would be Lustre, Scratch, or Color. And it should all be done at 2K like most feature DI. 4K RED simply isn't that good looking....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]