FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke for Mac licensing issues

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Richards
Smoke for Mac licensing issues
on May 12, 2011 at 8:35:42 am

Dear all,

I posted this on the autodesk community forum, but have duplicated this here in case anybody has any ideas/answers.

I am a lecturer and have been happily using the student version of ‘Smoke for Mac 2012’ for a few weeks, and before that 2011 (service pack 5) but have run into some difficulties over the past few days with Smoke running into licensing difficulties. All of a sudden three days ago a dialogue box came up telling me that I had an issue with activation. I tried reactivating and was told that I had too many activations for this workstation. I contacted the Autodesk Authorisation Centre and was given another activation when I told them the request code. Then yesterday the same dialogue box came up again and was asked to activate with another request code. I have just been given my third activation code and am afraid that the centre will run out of patience if this happens again!

Can anybody think why this might be happening?

There are some surrounding circumstances that might be impacting on this. I have had trouble soft importing footage. In fact I only really discovered it a few days ago. Before then I had been hard importing footage. I am running this on a 2011 i7 MacBook Pro that I hook up to a 24 inch apple monitor and am planning on buying a thunderbolt raid when they come out. So at the moment I am accessing footage from my laptop’s hard drive. I know that this is not recommended but running from a usb would seem worse and I don’t want to buy a firewire 800 drive when a faster 800Mbps thunderbolt will be coming out in a month or two.

Anyway my ip address is DHCP and so every time I reboot my computer the media comes up with the checkerboard signs as the ip address is changed. I also have a Euphonix MC Transport that uses its own IP when it is hooked up to the ethernet port. I tried a workaround for this yesterday that seemed to work. I added a second airport entry into my network preferences and fixed the last number on this. So I have one airport entry that floats around for my internet connection and then one that is static that seems to enable Smoke to keep hold of the connection to my footage. I have seen advice to use a static ip address but when I try this on my laptop I cannot get an internet connection, even though I get a green light to the left of the entry.

This might be a totally separate issue to the activation issue and might only be some temporal coincidence. Any ideas? Also if anybody has any advice on setting up their mac for static ip address that is better than the one I worked around, I am very open to suggestions. In fact I have held off installing the new licence in case I am doing something stupid and asking for trouble.

Cheers
Tony

Return to posts index

Tony Richards
Re: Smoke for Mac licensing issues
on May 12, 2011 at 11:15:47 am

Just activated smoke for the third time and the project that I had open was taking an age to load (mulitcoloured spinning wheel). Anyway I force-quite, started a new project and then noted that my gateway was my macbook’s name. That seemed fine. But then I noticed when navigating that the ip has changed from when I last opened. Looks like I hadn’t managed to change from ‘ip’ to ‘localhost’ and yet I did follow the instructions and when I open terminal my location is noted as localhost. Now I am more confused than ever and really not able to soft-import and keep any links from session to session…

Aggghh.

Cheers
Tony

Return to posts index

Tony Richards
on May 12, 2011 at 11:59:57 am

This has turned into a real nightmare (as far as using Smoke is concerned). I have been asked for product licence activation again!!!!

I cannot contact autodesk activation and expect them to give me another activation for yet another request code! Why might this be happening? I forced-quit Smoke because it was hanging for ages on accessing a project (gateway, checkerboard, etc.) and then on restarting it again the licencing message came up giving me the option of seven more days or repairing.
I am on the edge of giving up with this software even though I have become a real fan of its one-stop shopness. I have taken about two months in learning it, but now I either cannot access soft-imports across sessions or I else I need to activate again.

I know I am becoming peaved and I cannot see autodesk giving me yet another activation (three in the last two days!).

Might just go back to Final Cut Pro, Color and After Effects…

Cheers
Tony

Return to posts index

Tony Richards
on May 12, 2011 at 5:50:41 pm

Not a lot of traffic through this forum. Looks like I am finishing 'up' with Smoke rather than finishing 'with' Smoke. I have tried for around 8 hours to solve my issues and followed similar problems on the Autodesk board. When I could get the software working, I loved it but all the pavlovian conditioning of having the software tell me time and time again that I need another licence has just made me reach the end of my tether. There is also not a large community (I know that's part of it) to help out with such issues. I have tried 'localhost' everywhere and nothing gives me any respite.

I moved from the companies of Sony/Fast/Pinnacle/Avid from the software of ES3/Chrome/Liquid until that software reached the end of its life. I thought it was unfair as it was great software (that I actually used to beta test for). I then moved to Final Cut Pro on the Mac and lots of satellite software but was enticed by the idea of doing lots and lots under one roof and to a high degree of pipeline complexity. Not a jack-of-all-trades but a near-master-of-all-trades-connected-into-one. It also had the beauty of looking a little like the Liquid interface but with true nodal 3d space. That was something I was forever banging on about on the Liquid beta board. It was making progress nicely (integration of commotion filters, steinberg filters, complex keyframing, secondary colour corrections as standard) and then they shut it down. I saw Smoke and I thought wow! It also came at a time when it looked like Final Cut Pro was becoming iMoviePro. I didn't want to be patronised by my software. I loved the look of Smoke and what it could do to get me 'stoned' on its possibilities.

Now it looks like I am going to be giving up smoking before I've hardly even started. Such is the bio-diary of a near Smoke adopter!

Cheers and bye
Tony

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on May 12, 2011 at 6:13:08 pm

Well, it sounds like you dont have a Smoke problem, but a problem with you internet / network.

Are you sure you setup up your network settings properly?

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Tony Richards
on May 12, 2011 at 6:42:10 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I followed some instructions on the autodesk smoke forum and some pages on the autodesk site for fixing issues that sounded much like mine. I know it must be an issue with Smoke speaking to my network, but I can't get my head around where I am going wrong. I have just resorted to uninsatlling Smoke and might try and install again if I can get my head around it. I note that a lot of files are left in the usr/discreet path after the uninstall...

So I first tried in my own anarchic way to set up a static ip address by going manual in the mac's network settings. This however prevented me from accessing the internet, even though the light next to it was green. I reverted to DHCP. Every time I then started smoke I would lose gateway connection to my softimported files as the ip moved changed numbers.

I note parenthetically that I only started having issues with Smoke asking for new activations when I discovered soft importing. I had had around 2 months of hard imports with only infrequent crashes but at least no licence issues. Is there a clue here?

I then (more anarchically) had the brainwave of adding another airport entry and having that as a static ip. So I would have one that was DHCP and one that was static. I hoped that Smoke would use this. It looked like it was as its gateway number was the same as my static entry but different to the DHCP one. I thought I'd solved it. Then I had the Smoke looking asking for new activations. It did it once before me changing the network settings, but was doing it a lot afterwards. I had both checkerboard entries in smoke and constant returning to autodesk to get new activations

I then deleted the static entry in my network settings and just stayed with DHCP. I read a reply on the autodesk board about using DHCP and adding an entry for localhost in the 'service monitor' (in smoke Common utilities folder). Here I was told to delete the existing entry and replace it with localhost (127.0.0.1). I did this, started Smoke and then I still had checkerboard desktop media and then a long hang when accessing the library to try and reconnect media.

I then rebooted and started smoke and got the activation message (which now haunts me as an image, burned into my brain!).

I had noticed that I could start localhost/WiretapCentral in the browser and access my macintosh. Something that I had not been able to do previously. This -a sort of 'false dawn'- made me think that the gateway/license would now know it was 'at home'. Nope again I had that activation message.

I have not been given any other 'places' or 'venues' where I can tell Smoke and its satellite stuff where it should connect to. Any advice would be gratefully received and I might try to reinstall again. I just am/was getting sick of bugging Autodesk for new activation numbers. I think I have a history of around 8 to my one serial number!

Return to posts index

Tony Richards
on May 17, 2011 at 7:35:13 am

I got it all sorted on the autodesk message boards. It involved changing an entry in a config file in the Smoke directory. Smoke now accesses files through the localhost gateway and the licence is stable...

Cheers
Tony

Return to posts index

Adam Corey
on May 18, 2011 at 3:29:25 am

I'm glad you were able to work your issues out. I've had nothing but problems with autodesk support for smoke on mac. I have 2 systems, both with support, both with issues. The autodesk response is "contact your reseller for support or pay by the minute for phone support" despite paying for two annual "support" contracts. Here's an exact quote from an email from my reseller "Working on getting a case going with Autodesk. Not the fastest process in the world, thanks for the patience". I've had these systems for five months and I continue to have to run Final Cut on them because it's more stable than smoke. It's a very sad day when an autodesk product is bested by fcp, not because fcp is better but because autodesk refuses to support it's client base. 2 systems with 2 support contracts $34,000 (not including hardware), number of sessions that smoke was used 3 crash filled, restart days.

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]