FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfer preference and project between volume

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andi no
transfer preference and project between volume
on May 5, 2011 at 4:09:16 am

Hi, i'm newbie - using smoke on mac. I got couple simple questions, i need to know how to do it in the 'right' way :
1 . how to transfer user setting /preference to another existing user? for example the keyboard shortcut has been set in my preference and i want to share with others , how is it?
2. how is the right way or the clean way to move whole project from one volume to another volume. If anyone can share tutorial link about this topic, it will be great.
3. Regarding no.2, i test 2012 and can't get the project list of previous 2011's project. Does it mean 2012 cannot open older project? that's weird.

thanx

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: transfer preference and project between volume
on May 5, 2011 at 12:54:02 pm

1 . how to transfer user setting /preference to another existing user? for example the keyboard shortcut has been set in my preference and i want to share with others , how is it?
Create a new user and there should be an option to copy from user.

2. how is the right way or the clean way to move whole project from one volume to another volume. If anyone can share tutorial link about this topic, it will be great.
There is a copy projects script you can run, in /usr/discreet//bin/ but i think it is only to copy from version to version, not sure if it copies volume to volume. And by volume, i assume you mean framestore to framestore. If you want to move projects from frame store to framestore the easiest way is to create a new project with a slightly different name using the new framestore, then go into the library, dual-view and network to the original project and all of it's libraries and move everything to the new project. You may want to manually move any lose files in /usr/discreet/project// if you have things stored in there, like images or audio, but I doubt you will.
You can then delete the original project.

3. Regarding no.2, i test 2012 and can't get the project list of previous 2011's project. Does it mean 2012 cannot open older project? that's weird.
It is normal that new versions don't see old versions projects. you can run multiple versions of Smoke on the same system and it's a good idea to have an older version, just in case. It has to do with how the metadata has changed and improved from version to version as the software develops new tools. You can access old Libraries from older versions as Read-only, so you can copy that material to new projects as needed. The Copy Projects script above, will recreate old projects in the new version and then you just need to copy the media over from the Libraries

Return to posts index

andi no
on May 5, 2011 at 3:53:41 pm

Hi Brian, thanx a lot for the info. It really helps a lot. Btw i got another case where i cannot remove the project ( never found this problem before ), everytime i try to delete project , i always got crash. So i try manually delete /usr/discreet/project then for the clip i use 'storage/purge' but i got the fact that the purge doesn't work well, does it sometime happen like this?

I did some other test : create a project and create a clip inside the framestore ( i check there're dpx files in the folder) , then later i try to delete the project from within smoke , i got no error and successfully delete the project, then do 'purge' , but as i check inside the framestore the clip (dpx) is still there without anyproject using it. Anyone has any explaination about it ? does 'purge' sometimes fail ? i've restarted smoke couple of times but no luck.

thanx

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 5, 2011 at 4:30:50 pm

If you are deleting manually.. which is never good. You also need to go into /usr/discreet/clip and delete the libraries there. This is where your media metadata is actually stored. Then Purge might work as expected.

There sounds like a permissions issue if you are having trouble deleting.

Return to posts index

andi no
on May 5, 2011 at 5:26:47 pm

oo ok, seems that i made a mistake then. I'll have a look and try it. Btw about copying user preferences, i did it but not a good news.... with the new user , all my privous hotkey is not working at all ( prev user is 2011 and copying to 2012). Have you ever succeeded ?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 5, 2011 at 8:38:11 pm

With version upgrades it is usually best to create a fresh new user and redo your hotkeys. Many hotkey assignments get added or change with version upgrades.

Return to posts index

andi no
on May 18, 2011 at 8:30:49 am

Hi Brian, Finally i found a way for transferring the hotkey :)
This might be the 'dirty' way... go to your old user folder (2011) under /usr/discreet/ copy the 'hotkey' folder to your new user folder (2012). Always remember to play safe, BACKUP FIRST! So now my 2011 hotkey can be used inside 2012. As i said, this might be the 'dirty' way , so the force copying the user folder across different version might bring some problem, but as far as i'm using it there's none of them :)

Thanx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]