FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Move with a Variable Speed

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Richardson
Camera Move with a Variable Speed
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:42:40 am

Hi,

I'm very new to Smoke & I'm the only operator at the facility where I work, so I have nobody to ask advice.

I am trying to make a camera move in action that zooms in at the start very fast, then slows right down towards the end. I have been trying to effect the 2 keyframes in the animation curves to make the move the correct velocity, but I can't seem to change the nodes as I would in something like After Effects. I have them set to 'Hermite' which gives a curve, but I cant change the nodes on the keyframes to make a sharper curve...I can pull the node up & down, but not stretch it out.

Is this something that Smoke doesn't do, or is there a setting I need to change?

I hope this makes sense & that somebody can help.

Thanks

Claire

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
Re: Camera Move with a Variable Speed
on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:56:35 pm

Hi Claire.

I'm not a AE user, so I'm not sure about the AE terminology, but NODES to me have a totally different meaning to me.
Are you actually moving the Camera, or are you moving the scale of a layer to achieve the effect you want?

Regarding the keyframes, I think you are referring to the tangent handles on a keyframe in the animation display in Action? You are correct that the tangent handles can not be "stretched" to accomplish what you want to do. I THINK adding a 3rd (transitional) keyframe (Ie: start keyframe/end keyframe and one in the "middle" to "slow down" the effect. Moving the tangent handles on that "middle" keyframe should give you the effect you desire. You can also use the motion blur setting on the layer (turned on/adjusted in the set-up menu) to give the move a blur if desired.

I hope this makes sense to you? Good luck! -Tommy T.

Return to posts index

Claire Richardson
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:24:18 pm

Hi Tommy,

Many thanks for your help.

You are right in thinking its the handles that I am trying to stretch, oh well I'll have to work another way of doing it.

I am actually moving the camera rather than scaling, but not only in the 'eye z-axis' but also the 'eye & interest y-axis' which means I have to try & lock them all together when I make any changes, or add other keyframes. Is there a way of effecting 1 keyframe & locking the others to it, so when I change a curve, they all change? I'm finding that when I add another keyframe to change the speed, then the end of the move is bouncing back on itself (going further than the zoom & tilt, then back out to the final position.

Or is it best just to do this all in scale & position?

I hope this makes sense.

Once again thanks for your help,

Claire

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:42:56 pm

Hi Claire.

I'm sure Grant, Brian or one of the other Cow/Smoke forum regular users will chime in later in the day, but I would probably use scale & position to move the image, but it ultimately depends on the effect you desire, and I think the keyframe issues you are having would be the same in any case.
The reason the end position is "going further than the zoom & tilt, then back out to the final position" is because your hermite curve is going below the "middle and end" keyframe points in the animation window. Take the tangent handle to the right of the middle keyframe and make it horizontal (LINEAR) to the 3rd/last keyframe and that will not happen.

Regarding adjusting keyframes on multiple axis at once (ie: scale, positon at the same point in time), I believe if you hold CNTRL and highlight multiple axis on the left side of the animation curve window (the vertical list of axis), multiple items should highlight in WHITE, and you can move them at once. I'm recalling this from memory, as I'm home as I type this, and don't have a Smoke to "play with", but I'm pretty sure that works.

This may not help you with your specific needs today (and forgive me if you already know this), but when you have time, you should watch Grant Kay's amazing demo/instructional videos on his Autodesk Area Blog (THANKS GRANT!!!!!!). BTW, I know what it's like to be the only "Smoker" at a facility, and not have anyone to ask/share the learning curve with..... it gets better! -Tommy T.

Return to posts index

Claire Richardson
on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:51:34 pm

Thanks so much for your input Tommy, you've been very helpful.

It certainly is a learning curve, but a good challenge all the same. I have been messing about with the handles to try and get the right effect, I'll just keep playing (well as much as the deadline will allow that is!!!)

Cheers

Claire

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:13:29 pm

Hi Claire,

If I am correct in thinking, you are probably using Smoke 2011.

The stretching of the tangents outward from their control point/node you are after is known as "bezier" tangents... The good news is that bezier tangents are in Smoke 2012 which is due for release shortly.

As for 2011, you can use the hermite curves to give a fast start to the animation by moving the tangent upwards that will make the curve steep.

You can also use the hermite curve on the second control point to slow the animation down. To control how fast the show down occurs, can be achieved by moving the control point/node left or right to change its timings.

I know its a little old school but as I said, it's be added in 2012.

I have done a series of videos on Animation curves at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk?tf=13&

The blog is filled with other things which might help you out.

Good luck!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Claire Richardson
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:35:02 pm

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep it is Smoke2011, luckily enough we're upgrading in a few weeks. For now I'll just have to play with the curves as best I can.

Will definitely take a look at your blog too.

Claire

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:14:23 pm

Thanks Tom!!!

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]