FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Media to Library

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim James
Importing Media to Library
on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:41:28 am

I want to see if I am getting this right.

If I mounted a drive on my linux machine and i want to bring it into the clip library, I have 2 options that I know of:

1) Go to "I/O" tab and import it that way

2) Go to "Network" tab in Library, access the Gateway, go to volumes in Gateway and select the drive. Then go to the browser in the Library and import it that way?

Have I got that right?

And as for option number 2... I know that smoke/flame/inferno are counter intuitive for the new user, but using the using the Network tab to find a mounted drive on the local machine adds to the confusion of navigating and learning.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Importing Media to Library
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:25:06 pm

Hi Jim,

Option 1 was the old way in which we import media into the software

Option 2 is the new preferred way of importing.

Here is why:

Traditionally our storage was unique and closed off to the outside world. Anything you imported through the IMPORT MENU lost its connection to the original material. Pretty much everything on import was converted to DPX with no way to identify the original files.

The gateway service allowed us to link directly to media without conversions as well as retain all the metadta linking back to the original files. Now in some cases, JPG files for example, have no really need to reference them. However when you start talking about Red media, ArriRAW, MXF and all these other crazy formats that we support, the need to be able to retrace the original files and change metadata at will becomes a necessity. Image importing a Red file at a quater debayer only to be told by the client they want a full debayered version. In Smoke, you can access all the camera information in the original media as well as change the settings of the file AFTER you have imported the media. It makes a big difference to small scale as well as large scale workflows.

We also incorporated conforming into the gateway. So if you drag and drop a XML or an AAF, Smoke will use the gateway to sniff out the files and relink the timeline with very few actions on your part. We're trying to make managing workflows easier for users but its not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

I know the the whole navigation is a bit tricky to get your head around but in the upcoming 2012 version we are working on at least simplifying this process as well as adding in some crazy management stuff for OpenEXR render passes if you do CGI comping.

Any questions, just ask here or on the Autodesk Area Smoke forum.

Good luck!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jim James
on Apr 1, 2011 at 4:56:25 pm

Thanks Grant. Yeah I am all over the forums at the Area (flamenewbie). I noticed I get more responses on the COW. Is that where you are more active? I'm also gonna take Brian M's new class if FXPHD ever refreshes their course listing today.

Also, about your blog... watched about half of your videos. Most are a little advanced, but a lot hit the mark. I have your importing and archiving videos memorized.. but looks like I learned the old archaic version of IO... Off to learn me some gateway knowledge.

One question. The Gateway import method, is that considered soft importing since it is not converting like the I/O was?

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:12:53 pm

Ah, Flamenewbie :)

I try spread my time around lots of different places... But the Area is my main home (working for Autodesk etc). There are great people all over able to answer questions and sometimes I dont have time to answer all .... 2012 has me up to my neck in work so busy busy busy....

As for the gateway... The first assumption is people would compare it to soft-import through the old I/O menu. However soft-import is simply just a pointer to a file and nothing more.

The gateway import, by default, links to the file but its constantly reading the media as well as the embedded metadata with that file... Also the capability to change the way the file is being read by smoke through its import history is seriously powerful. In other words the connection between Smoke and the media is bi-directional.

As you can tell this is something the I/O module was never able to offer.

I do plan to redo a lot of videos for 2012 and they may be posted on the blog as well as the training section for Smoke in the Autodesk AREA....

So much to do and so little time!

Have a great weekend!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jim James
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:29:02 pm

Thanks for that clarification on the Gateway.

One more quick question if I may. Now through the Gateway if you ingest say some red footage for example. Say you bring it in at 1/4 debayer to cut with. Let's say your client wants it bumped up to 4k raw. Well if I understand it right, then you can do that no problem through the history.

1) Is that correct?

2) In FCP if I bring something in at say 1280 and later on I decide to bump up to the higher resolution... Everything associated with that media gets huge (I mean dimensions). So I have to go through all the edits and scale down that media to fit. Do you run into this issue when changing a asset from (just as an example) 2k -> 4k?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]