FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managing the Import History

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim James
Managing the Import History
on Mar 30, 2011 at 5:18:13 am

I want to get some clarification here. if I use the gateway to import media, and somewhere down the road I decide that soft importing wasn't the way to go and I want to process the clip and have it in DPX format, I can just go into the clip history and "make it so?"

Or if I was using a Red clip that was a quarter debayer and now I want it in full res, I can just go into import history and change it. And everything that is associated with that clip will auto update and seamlessly adapt to the new settings?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: Managing the Import History
on Mar 30, 2011 at 8:41:24 am

Yes is the answer to your question.

If you import a file via the gateway, it will always be aware of its import history.

To change the import history, you do not have to go find the original file in the gateway. Simply locate the file in the clip library that was originally imported.

When you double click on the file than the bottom UI should display the import history which will be in view mode. You should be able to change it from VIEW CLIP HISTORY to MODIFY CLIP HISTORY.

In the cases of soft-imported media you can set the setting to store a local copy. In the case of RED, you can adjust the debayering and etc.

The final step in the process is that you need to press APPLY CHANGES to update the clips...

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jim James
on Mar 31, 2011 at 7:15:10 pm

So you could import your red clips at low resolution in the smoke. Then you could do an offline with the small footprint and when it's time to finish, just manage those clips and bump up to the desired resolution?

No imputing anxml and redigitizing/imputing high value footage?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:37:58 am

Hi Jim,

The general idea is that you should just be able to change the metadata or your clips and they will update to what ever you tell them to be.

The workflow for this would be to edit your timeline in a low resolution as you stated. Once you have completed the edit, you would unlink the clips from the timeline. The clip would that be reformatted to the high resolution. You would also reformat the timeline to the same high resolution but as a separate operation. Following on from that you would proceed to relink the material back to the timeline and you're good to go.

If this does not work out for you you could always edit the Red QT proxies in FCP. You would than export out an XML and import that into Smoke as the high rez timeline. Smoke can than source out the Red media clips and relink to the high res media. Always good to have multiple options.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Jim James
on Apr 1, 2011 at 7:19:13 pm

As always Grant, Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]