FORUMS: list search recent posts

Enhancing a 3d Virtual Set in Smoke on Mac

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashish Varghese
Enhancing a 3d Virtual Set in Smoke on Mac
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:34:34 pm

Hi guyz,

I am very new to Smoke and am working on Smoke on Mac. My Job requires a lot of VR sets coz we do a lot of green screen Shoots.

Here's the image of a VR set that I was playing with:

I would like to do the following and don't know how I could in Smoke:

1. Add a thickness to my Video wall
2. Add a slight fade gradient fade to my reflections. I can not use it as precomposed material coz once I make this setup I have to just go and replace the footages all the time.
3. Add blur to my reflections. The reflections are the copy of the branch of the same nodes used to create the actual Video wall.
4. Make my 3d materials look more like natural elements.
5. Right now I have just put a gradient background that I created in Photoshop. I would like change that to something more 3d.
6. Have a dark shadow on my 3d elements with lot's of blur.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ashish Varghese

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Enhancing a 3d Virtual Set in Smoke on Mac
on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:10:21 pm

[Ashish Varghese] "1. Add a thickness to my Video wall

USE A 3D OBJECT THAT HAS DEPTH AND USE A DIFFUSE MAP OF YOUR VIDO CLIP ON IT. NOT SURE IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO OUTSIDE 3D OR IF YOU ARE ALL IN SMOKE. IF ALL IN SMOKE THEN YOU CAN ADD SOME SIDES TO YOUR SCREEN WITH OTHER GEOMETRIES.

2. Add a slight fade gradient fade to my reflections. I can not use it as precomposed material coz once I make this setup I have to just go and replace the footages all the time.

THE EASIEST WAY WOULD BE TO ADD THAT SAME IMAGE AS A NEW MEDIA LAYER AND THEN USE THAT AS YOUR REFLECTION. THEN YOU CAN SOFT CROP FOR YOUR FADE.

3. Add blur to my reflections. The reflections are the copy of the branch of the same nodes used to create the actual Video wall.

IF YOU WORK LIKE I SAID ABOVE THEN YOU CAN ALSO BLUR THAT NEW MEDIA LAYER.

4. Make my 3d materials look more like natural elements.

USE DIFFUSE AND REFLECTION MAPS ON YOUR 3D GEOMS. USE A TEXTURE OF WOOD IN A MEDIA LAYER THEN USE THAT AS A DIFFUSE MAP ON YOUR GEOMS.
NOW YOUR FLOOR HAS A WOOD TEXTURE ON IT. ADJUST LIGHTS AS NEEDED.
IT PROBABLY WON'T BE PHOTO REAL, DUE TO THE LIMITED SHADERS.

5. Right now I have just put a gradient background that I created in Photoshop. I would like change that to something more 3d.

LIKE WHAT?

6. Have a dark shadow on my 3d elements with lot's of blur.
"
NOT EASY TO PULL OFF CURRENTLY.

Return to posts index

Ashish Varghese
on Feb 25, 2011 at 7:27:15 pm

Thank you so much Brian. Thank you really for taking time to respond. Since the image that I need the reflection for is made up of several images/3d elements is there a way I can bring them back to the comp as the new media layer without rendering it out separately? If I need to render it out separately and bring them every time it wouldn't work with me. These are all long form industrials that I work on. And one setup is used several time in several videos. So every time to render a piece out and then brining in back would be very tedious.

I have worked on AE for several years and what I would do is just pre-comp it and bring it back as a new layer. That's exactly what I need to know.

Thank you so much again Brian.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:36:14 pm

Didn't realize that the screen was made of of several parts.

1. Add a dummy layer in Action. White frame F/M. It might appear in your scene... than't ok for now.

Copy your branch that contains all of your video wall elements.
Move it to a clear spot in the schematic. Now select your dummy frame that we added and bring up the front source and the matte source for it. Be sure that you see the small thumbnail in the media list (should be that white frame)

Your source nodes will have Source node-AXIS-CAMERA-IMAGE. You can delete everything off of these node except the actual SOURCE FRONT and SOURCE MATTE nodes.

No take these and connect them to the top node of your copied video wall branch. Now if all goes well.. then you should see in your dummy frame we added all of your video wall elements.

You can now use this blur and crop for proper refections. When you change the media later everything should change as a result.

See this little tutorial about source nodes if you get confused.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk/action_source_nodes_part_1
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk/action_source_nodes_part_2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]