FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smac Storage

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Maiden
Smac Storage
on Feb 14, 2011 at 10:24:00 am

Hi

Can anyone tell me what storage they are using with their Smacs. My current storage is now half full (with on going jobs that I do not wish to delete yet) but I am no longer getting fast enough speeds for HD 4:2:2 8bit playback or output to tape. It seems to be now the disk is fuller and the data is being scattered across the disks that it has lost it performance.

Anyone else had this problem or any suggestions for faster storage would be greatfully welcomed.

Cheers
Alan

Return to posts index

Gregory Qualls
Re: Smac Storage
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:58:36 pm

Sounds like you are using a single drive. You need fast storage, most 7 to 10 Disk Hardware Raid will work. Just make sure the transfer rate is 500MB/sec + for max performance. You need a transfer rate of 180mb/sec+ for a single stream of HD. I use Ciprico Fibre Channel Raid, but theres lots of Raids out there to choose from.

Return to posts index

Alan Maiden
on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:21:04 pm

Thanks for that, just done a disk speed test and am getting 185mbps so i guess I'm right on the edge for HD playback.

Return to posts index

Gregory Qualls
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:45:27 pm

Maybe you could add 2 more drives and software stripped them in disk ultility. That should get you around 300 mb/s. Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:06:52 am

Take a look at the boxes that Maxx make. They are advertised here.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]