FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke on Mac 2011 unable to display clips, render or relink from gateway off XML?!?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giulio Galinos
Smoke on Mac 2011 unable to display clips, render or relink from gateway off XML?!?
on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:07:47 pm

Hey all

We have setup a MacPro 8Core with the trial version of Smoke 2011 service pack 5 we plan on purchasing the full version after testing it on a small project as the bosses want to see if it will plug into our work flow.

I am performing a conform off FCP XML through the gateway off a drive on our San Evo, using the drag and drop method through two library windows....Smoke reads the metadata but the clips are unlinked off the bat!

When I relink the clips the conform displays a needs render message, I have loaded it into the record timeline and the edit is definatley there. I am unable to render this though and it keeps crashing everytime I try.

Please people your expert help will be much appreciated as the future purchse of the full version depends on this trial and my bosses are absolutely gutted so far....

Regards
Giulio

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
Re: Smoke on Mac 2011 unable to display clips, render or relink from gateway off XML?!?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:18:03 am

A successful conform form FCP works for us this way:

1. Make sure that you are using codecs that Smoke can read, preferable ProRes or uncompressed QT. Leave out all those codecs with funky formats such as 1400 x 1080p with non-square pixels, etc...

ProRes 422 HQ and ProRes 4444 work great in Smoke. If you want Smoke's timeline to be in 10 bits (like your footage) it makes sense to check that already in FCP. However, you can change that later in Smoke.

2. Consolidate the project with Media manager in FCP. Give the folder a name such as "XYZProject_Conform". Move this folder into your project folder. This is not necessary but it will keep you project tidy and skips unnecessary folder levels that may make things difficult for Smoke. Now close the project and open the freshly created FCP project that resides in the "XYZProject_Conform" folder. Reconnect the media from this folder and export the XML into "XYZProject_Conform". This ensures that:

a) the XML is pointing to the right material in the right folder,

b) the XML is in the same folder level as the footage which makes conforming a mouse click.

3. In Smoke's gateway switch to dual mode. Besides the "default" library create a new library and a new reel. Give this reel a meaningful name such as "Media_ProRes". It is important that you create a new reel. Reconnecting media works best when the footage resides in a reel. Smoke loves operators that use different libraries for different footage, versions, etc... dropping all your stuff into the Default library will lead to a huge single library that will cause in the worst scenario Smoke not to load properly. As with any NLE Smoke needs a loving, cleaning hand.

4. Drag from the gateway the footage from the"XYZProject_Conform" folder into the "Media_ProRes" reel. Then drag the XML from the "XYZProject_Conform" folder into the "Media_ProRes" reel. Now Smoke is performing the conform. Load the new Clip onto the Edit Desk and drag it into the timeline.

5. Assets such as PSD must be imported separately in the legacy way and inserted by hand. Please refer to the manual in this regard

Grant Kay has very useful tutorials regarding conforming projects in Smoke, this is the one that deals with FCP XML conform: http://www.the-area.com/blogs/discreetuk/workflow_xml_quicktime_conforming_...

You may have encountered that Smoke on the Mac is a very complex software that can address many, many things in many ways but hence needs a deep journey into its guts to understand how it thinks. You need some patience and time to fully evaluated the trial. If your "bosses" are kicking your heels just because you did not manage to conform an FCP XML straight from day one on Smoke may not be the right tool for your facility. To perform my first successful conform it took me a full week and now a year with many projects to say confidently that I left the beginner stage.

Hans

Return to posts index

Giulio Galinos
Re: Smoke on Mac 2011 unable to display clips, render or relink from gateway off XML?!?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:06:52 am

I have done some research and the problem is I'm trying to conform off Prores 422 clips and wiretap gateway which is not included in the demo is apparently needed to work with this codec.

I have converted the footage in Compressor to uncompressed 8bit and it works like a dream....guess I answered my own question none the less I hope this thread helps someone someday!!

_G_

Return to posts index

Brian Buongiorno
on Mar 30, 2011 at 12:08:44 am

Hello all,

I learned today that because I updated my OS 10.6.5 to 10.6.6, Smoke on Mac will not read or load any ProRes footage. Sadly, I have had to spend the time to transcode all my PR4444 footage to QT Animation High setting in order to be able to use it. Hopefully Autodesk will solve this problem very soon!
Brian

Brian Buongiorno
tonevisuals.com

Return to posts index

Giulio Galinos
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:07:27 pm

Hey there

Thanks for the reply and the breakdown it is much appreciated and yeah Grant Kays tute is rock solid as always!!! It is indeed a boggling concept to grasp at first and I have had over 4 yrs experience on Smoke but new to the Mac OSX version.

I have done some research on the Area and the problem is I am trying to conform off Prores 422 clips and wiretap gateway which is not included in the demo is apparently needed to for this to work.

I converted the footage to uncompressed 8bit QT and was able to conform off this, its not ideal but it will work for now.

Many thanks
GG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]