FORUMS: list search recent posts

Autodesk Smoke Tutorials Book

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Praveen Kumar
Autodesk Smoke Tutorials Book
on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:59:28 pm

Hi Everyone.... I am planning to install and try out smoke for mac for a month and wish to learn and take much as possible hands on training on smoke for which I am looking for some kind of training materials that would help me get practical experience on smoke.

Thank you

Regards,
Praveen

Return to posts index

Gregory Qualls
Re: Autodesk Smoke Tutorials Book
on Jan 17, 2011 at 9:13:01 pm

You should go to Grant Kay's Blog on Autodesk Area Blog site, great informational blogs and videos there. Also check out FXphd.com for online classes for smoke and other great apps.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jan 18, 2011 at 9:48:37 am

Hi,

Autodesk also offers essentials training (getting started) online for free as well as my blog.

Go to http://area.autodesk.com/smoke-tutorials

Best of luck!

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Praveen Kumar
on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:34:07 pm

Thank you Gregory and Grant.... will check out the blog and the website suggested.

Thanks again guys! :-)

Any additional information from other users also welcome! :-)

Praveen Kumar
Bombay, India.

Return to posts index

Adam Corey
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:12:49 pm

The blogs are great, but if you need to be up and running on smoke quickly I'd recommend getting formal training before buying a system. I purchased 2 smoke on mac systems with subscriptions in November and still can't get anyone from autodesk to contact me about on-site training. They continually send me links to "the area" and "4 kay story" which are great but not a complete substitue for training. It usually takes 5-7 days for even that automated response.

I used Avid DS since it was it's inception but was a bit concerned about the future of the product and was looking for a viable substitue. After seeing some great demos, but being unable to get a demo system on site I figured it was worth a shot (Autodesk's inability to provide a demo should've been a red flag). To say the customer support is second rate is giving far too much credit. I don't doubt that smoke can do everything I need and more, however, I need to know how to best utilize it for my work flow.

All that to say, it seems like a great box but don't expect much (if anything) from Autodesk once you buy the product.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:14:06 pm

[Adam Corey] "All that to say, it seems like a great box but don't expect much (if anything) from Autodesk once you buy the product."

Wow. We bought our Smoke when it first became available on Linux, about 5 years ago. Support has been great! I took the one week training class at their Venice location, and it was great!

I just looked and they offer a few 5 day courses in the coming months.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/event/search/results?id=7609912&siteID...

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Adam Corey
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:10:54 pm

Most people who started on the Linux platform seem to have the same opinion. I think it's the smoke on mac that they're slipping with. I bought 2 complete systems from a reseller not just an online order of the software only. I'd prefer on-site training on the east coast which shouldn't be a problem for a company with offices in NYC and Montreal. I'd feel different if I was asking for something for free but how hard is it for a company that just sold 2 systems to provide the names of certified trainers instead of just a "check out our website" email. I'm glad you had a good experience but I can't say the same, 10 days to get an email response that repeats the website verbiage is unacceptable from any vendor.

Return to posts index

Gregory Qualls
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:25:14 pm

Are you emailing tech support, because that sounds strange of Autodesk to just reply like that. Also I would call/talk to the reseller, for them to provide assistance with your problem as well.

Return to posts index

Gregory Qualls
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:29:30 pm

Maybe try calling an Autodesk Office.

USA
Autodesk, Inc.
111 McInnis Parkway
San Rafael, CA 94903
United States of America (USA)
Phone: 415-507-5000
Fax: 415-507-5100