FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way to duplicate a timeline

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anhtu Vu
best way to duplicate a timeline
on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:17:02 pm

let say i just finish an edit and call it '' Main_timeline '' and i save it under the record area called '' Record_A ''. The client wants to make an alternate version so i need to make a duplicate of the '' Main_timeline ''.
The only way i manage to do it is to access the library and reload the same '' Main_timeline '' into my record area, then rename it. There must be an easier/more elegant way.

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
Re: best way to duplicate a timeline
on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:57:32 pm

I think you are over-complicating a simple task. Collapse your record clip (either with a hot key OR the pull down menu in the lower left of the Smoke GUI), then COPY the clip (using the F key), and drop it next to your orig. clip (master). This works for clips (or single frames) in the record and source areas of Smoke. -TomT

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:02:16 am

I should add that when you hold down the COPY (F key), you have to use the PEN (CROSSHAIR) to tap on the orig. clip and MOVE the copy to the right (or left) of the orig clip (master). I hope that makes sense. -TomT

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:55:12 am

Thanks for the tip.

I find it quite confusing that Smoke calls a timeline a clip, especially coming from FCP. Btw, i'm still using a mouse with Smoke, do you feel the Wacom tablet worth it ?? a luxury or a must have ??

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:13:29 am

I really feel the Wacom tablet is a must for reasons of speed and using the paint module. To be honest, I really don't know anyone that uses Smoke or Flame that doesn't use a tablet. I hope my explaination of the COPY function made sense to you? -TomT

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:44:09 am

The word CLIP refers to the media. It can be displayed in many ways Head/tail, stack, or a timeline to name a few. I'm not in front of a system right now, so I can't remember the other options.-TomT

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:57:31 am

so a single media = CLIP
a timeline ( with lots of media ) = CLIP

hmmm, talk about confusing...i guess programmers don't live in our world, nevertheless, a great software.

Btw, i just ordered the Wacom Intuous 4 Medium. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Jan 11, 2011 at 2:29:19 am

well, not really:

so a single media = CLIP
a timeline ( with lots of media seperated by edits. cuts, dissolves, wipes, etc.) = CLIP(S)

I was incorrect earlier when I referred the collapsed record area as a CLIP, but when it's collapsed, it appears visually to look like 1 clip (even though it is made up of anywhere from 1 to many clips or edits. Make sense? -TomT

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:19:00 am

got it :) thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 11, 2011 at 4:10:01 am

>>so a single media = CLIP
a timeline ( with lots of media seperated by edits. cuts, dissolves, wipes, etc.) = CLIP(S) <<

Lightworks handles media/clips the same way. It's not that uncommon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]