FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do i create a timeline and delete Video tracks

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anhtu Vu
How do i create a timeline and delete Video tracks
on Dec 12, 2010 at 4:03:24 am

Sorry for the newbie question, still working through the demo. I was wondering how i can enable a new timeline ? I created my first timeline by dragging a media from source area to the edit area, finish my edit. Now i want to created an alternate take by creating a new virgin timeline for editing.

and how can i delete video tracks on a given timeline ?? Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: How do i create a timeline and delete Video tracks
on Dec 12, 2010 at 4:04:12 pm

Creating new timelines is Smoke after one as already been created has always been funky.

I either just copy the edit and revise the copy. Or you can simply place a 1 sec clip of black down, with the resolution you want to work in, and then build you edit from there.

You can also just create a new record area, but that seems overkill.

Or you can simply drag down your first element into the record area (collapase view) like you did on your first edit. You may then need to reset the TC on the edit if that is important.

I honestly think this is an oversight in to much CONFORM workflows.

To delete a video track you can simple select the small square dot on the far left of the track, which will select the entire track and then simply press down, lift up, and drag to the bottom of the screen.

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Dec 12, 2010 at 7:01:16 pm

Thanks Brian,

a few more editing question:

1- How do i delete a space between two clips ?
2-When i have more than 2 video tracks, only one is visible ate the time ( the one with the '' P '' enable ( in red ), how can i have all the video tracks visible, meaning, P enable
3-When i have 2 clips butt ended to each other and i want to trim the end of clip '' A '' back ( ripple off ),therefore creating an empty space ( opaque ) between the 2. How can this be done ?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:15:59 pm

You may be confusing Video tracks with Layers. L+
You can only have 1 Video track active [P]. But if you want to do vertical compositing you can any infinite Layers to that video track.

To perform your trim... there is a button in the center tool bar that says LINK CUT. Disable that and you can trim your clip without it bringing the other clip along for the ride. The same holds true for LINK Transition.

Clear?

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:45:05 pm

Thanks Brian,

I guess it takes a bit of getting used to, coming from FCP.

What's the difference between '' Link Transition '' and '' Link Cut '' and do you know of an easy way to delete dead space between 2 clips.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:02:54 am

Have you read the manuals, or any part of them? And/or have you gone through the many video tutorials available at both the main Smoke website and the Grant Kay blog?

Expecting someone here to take the time to answer questions about basic operations in the software is not only presumptuous, but lazy. Every question you asked and many of the ones you're probably about to ask are answered fully in the above resources. I would suggest using them.

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:49:47 am

Mike,

I'm going through the tutorial right now..therefore all these questions. Have you even look through the tutorial before ranting. I don't see any of my questions addressed in the tutorial. As for the manual, it's nowhere to be found.
I suggest if you have nothing helpful to say, DON'T answer the post. So far all my questions have been answered by very helpful and knowledgeable people. Again, start your own rant somewhere else. Cheers !

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:03:36 am

I DID offer a helpful suggestion. I suggested that you look at Grant Kay's blog on the Area site, which has numerous videos that address exactly the things you were asking about. You were asking about trimming, and Grant has at least 2 videos (among many, many others) dedicated to just that subject. You were asking about the difference between video layers and video tracks (you didn't really know you were asking about that. but you were) and how to remove a track or a layer from a clip and Grant covers all of that as well. If you haven't even looked at it, why are you rejecting my suggestion and turning it into a personal attack? I wasn't making the suggestion to be rude, I was making it because I learned an awful lot about the program by going through the very resources I mentioned. You can too if you are willing to put in the time and effort to do it.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:53:47 pm

The Smoke 20011 user guide in PDF.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14971548&linkID...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:52:31 pm

Reading my entire reply above might help...

To perform your trim... there is a button in the center tool bar that says LINK CUT. Disable that and you can trim your clip without it bringing the other clip along for the ride. The same holds true for LINK Transition.

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:33:15 pm

Thanks a lot Brian

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Dec 13, 2010 at 7:19:23 pm

As suggested, make sure you check out Grant's blog on the Area...lots of excellent info.

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Dec 14, 2010 at 10:51:01 am

Grant's tutorials are very helpful, indeed. They brought me pretty far. And even now I'm quite familiar with Smoke once in a while I look in one of his tutorials and still learn new things.

The manual isn't bad either. But its POV is neutral and more aimed at an Autodesk Finishing Applications trained user than for the FCP editor who is switching to Smoke. In this regard the editorial section could have a "philosophical" introduction to how Smoke thinks, basically pointing out what they have in common and what not.

Hans

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Suggestion for Smoke documentation
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:44:09 pm

[Hans von Sonntag] "In this regard the editorial section could have a "philosophical" introduction to how Smoke thinks, basically pointing out what they have in common and what not."

This exact point -- how Smoke thinks, and how it's different from my Avid/FCP/AE experience -- has been the biggest element of the learning curve for me. I've been deducing the Autodesk philosophy from the training materials, but a direct comparison with how other apps handle data, metadata, and some tasks would certainly help ease the curve.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]