FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC Down Convert Creates Unwanted Speed Effect

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ufer
NTSC Down Convert Creates Unwanted Speed Effect
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:55:20 am

Has anyone used Smoke Advanced SD Deliverables and rendered out the timeline, only to find that the video is timewarped WAY too much and finishes at least 25% early? It's very bizarre and all of my settings are correct... the real-time deliverables layback to tape fine, but when I try and RENDER the same timeline, this wrong speed change happens. Any Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: NTSC Down Convert Creates Unwanted Speed Effect
on Dec 9, 2010 at 1:06:05 pm

What frame rates are you working in? Both HD & SD?

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
Re: NTSC Down Convert Creates Unwanted Speed Effect
on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:31:57 am

hey!
I don't use real time deliverables, but assuming you are starting with a 1080Psf HD clip, spot, video, etc (1920x1080 @ 23.98fps), take the clip into the RESIZE module, RESET ALL, on the right side (destination clip) select 720x486, 8-bit, you have a choice of LETTERBOX (for a 16x9 true HD aspect in 720x486 "world" OR CROP EDGES (which will give you a 4x3 centercut downconvert, so be careful of title & logo placement IF it applies). PROCESS. Once your clip is processed out to the desktop, take that clip and go to the FILM option "ADD PULLDOWN" (there will also be an option to "CHANGE TIMECODE"(within the ADD PULLDOWN menu) pick 29.97 and process clip again....... and voila, you now have your SD/NTSC master.
I have found that sometimes (depending on what release of Smoke you are running), the AUDIO (mix,etc) will sometimes be missing (removed?) from the clip. Just go back to the original HD version and drop it on to the SD master that I just described above on the record timeline. You WILL have jitter frames across some cut points, but that's just the nature of the beast.
I should mention my background is in Commercial Post, with a bit of documentary and music video experience, but that's what works for me. GOOD LUCK! -Tom T.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]