FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke cant find any external drives for importing footage

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Stoltz
Smoke cant find any external drives for importing footage
on Oct 24, 2010 at 4:28:13 pm

Hi everyone -Im new to smoke and I am trying to demo. I have watched how you import footage but when I hit the network button to import footage-Im not seeing any drives to import footage.

I got it to work only once and not sure how I did it-

if anyone can help me understand how this is working -I hope I can get it working again. Im not sure my settings are right or wrong ?

also -ive heard of soft or hard importing -What does that mean

thanks all

Matt

Return to posts index

Barry Goch
Re: Smoke cant find any external drives for importing footage
on Oct 24, 2010 at 11:51:05 pm

The thing to help the network connection is having a fixed IP address. Go to you mac network settings for ethernet and set up a manual fixed IP address.

Soft importing is Autodesk speak for linking to media like Final Cut or Avid now with AMA. Hard importing mean to capture the media and convert it to Smoke's native format.

Barry

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:37:56 am

Hey Barry

Thanks -I will try that -right now all my computers are on DHCP - Plus i run everything wireless-is that going to be a problem??

Does smoke need a Network connection or something to import footage? is that just the way it works?

Cant you just drag and drop in a library like you can FCP

Thanks for your help

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:31:14 pm

Hey Barry
well none of my drives are on a network --i just use usb and firewire drives --I did get it to work this way

Instead of hitting the network button --I hit the I/O button and then selected the media I wanted to import --I actually just set the selection on Auto and i was able to import a clip -although it seemed like Avid where Smoke conformed it to its own media . Was that what Smoke was doing? -after it did this -I was able to select my clip and load it into the library

Just trying to get a better idea of how this works.

thanks

Matt

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:38:20 am

What you did is the old style or Legacy import where your media was copied and stored in Smoke as Smoke format. (RGB)

When you use the network import, or Gateway, then you can import without coping your media. But you need to have your IP issues fixed and configured properly.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:28:33 pm

Thanks Brian

I have still not been successful with the Network import yet- I have configured my IP address to fixed -but still nothing-

Not sure what is going on -any advice would be helpful -I dont know what to check and not check

I ran a system check and everything checked out except for it said my MAC Pro (server) isnt responding

oh well maybe Ill just use the old way

Return to posts index

Matt Stoltz
on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:34:58 pm

Just was curious if any one had any more suggestions for me --still cant figure out the network import.

IP address seem to be working fine though

Return to posts index

Fitra Andriansyah
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:25:08 am

hi there,

can you tell about the configure and spec of you smoke machine.

regard
Fitra

Return to posts index

Tony Richards
on May 10, 2011 at 5:54:37 pm

I don't know if there was any resolution here but I am having the same problem on Smoke (for mac). All my soft imports are coming up as checkerboard patterns. I noticed that if I plug the ethernet cable in and start smoke that the files come back but if I work of wifi, then they come up empty again. Thing is that I am running it off a laptop (quad-core 2011) and I move around quite a lot. If I run it connected to ethernet and on 24 inch mac monitor its fine. Is it an ip issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]