FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing Matte Info on 2010SP3

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ufer
Losing Matte Info on 2010SP3
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:09:03 pm

Hey all,
Recently on 2010SP3 when I create an Axis Soft FX in the timeline, then add a garbage matte, sometimes when I revisit the keyer a few days later the matte info has simply disappeared. I've troubleshot this to the best of my ability and conclude that it doesn't have anything to do with the framestore availability... Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Rob FX

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
Re: Losing Matte Info on 2010SP3
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:17:33 pm

Personally I try to stay away from soft effects for that exact reason, that they are buggy, building stuff in Action then processing it out and cutting it to the timeline is always a safe bet,

w: http://www.joelosis.com
e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Rob Ufer
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:33:09 pm

Hey Joel,
Thanks for your input. I agree, using Action is always the safe bet. It just blows my mind that with how long Smoke has been around and Soft FX has been an option, these things seem to get buggier and buggier with each incarnation. I just recently installed 2011... We'll see if the SoftFX issues persist... I won't hold my breath.

Rob FX

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:51:23 pm

I haven't had any issues like that. Do you work with history ON?

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Sep 8, 2010 at 2:19:23 am

Hey Brian,

I ALWAYS work with history ON, unfortunately when I try to jump back in setups that are soft effects they seldom work

e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Paul Carlin
on Sep 8, 2010 at 2:43:17 am

Coming from a time before soft effects (and even before history) existed... I have the opposite approach. I rely heavily on soft effects and only use Action when it's not possible, or simply impractical to use soft effects in the timeline. My philosophy is to keep everything self contained in the timeline with maximum flexibility. Lately I've been using Containers to tidy up the timeline.

As far as stability... I have not experienced any significant problems with the exception of third-party Sparks. I always save my desktop before I use a spark, and only when absolutely necessary.

Please don't take this the wrong way... to each his own. But what I may be suggesting is that there may be some underlying problem with your system if you are experiencing so many crashes. Get support involved... that's what you pay all that money for.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Joel Osis
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:57:47 am

I am at a network that has 2 smokes and unfortunately we dont have support, however even off of a clean system install I have experienced buggy soft effects,

I personally prefer ACTION mainly because of the unlimited amount of layers instead of axis on the timeline which feels clunky to me

just my opinion :)

e info@joelosis.com

Return to posts index

Tom Tortoriello
on Sep 8, 2010 at 2:27:34 pm

I also have never had the problem that the OP has with soft effects on the timeline. It is my preferred way of working (SFX on TL), because it does give you the most flexibility of revising, copying, etc. without having the effect (title, CC, etc.) "married" to the video bgnd., as you would if you rendered it out of Action.
Of course with Smoke Advanced, you have the best of both worlds with BATCH FX on the timeline, but that doesn't help if you are on "regular"?? Smoke or Smoke on Mac.
A question for the OP.... If you have 2 systems, are you finding the garbage masks "dissapear" from both systems? You might try saving your KEY (includes garbage mask) settings manually, so you can at least recall them IF they should dissappear from your Timeline. Good luck! -Tom T.

Return to posts index

Alan Maiden
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:40:24 pm

I have to say I also work as much as possible with soft fx on the timeline and only go into action when things get too complicated. I have never had any sorts of problems with mattes going missing. I am also running 2010 sp3 and wiring stuff between 2 smokes and everything is very stable and solid. I do not use history though as this can make clips very large for archiving and wiring between machines.

Return to posts index

Rob Ufer
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:55:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll bear that in mind when using SoftFX...

Rob FX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]