FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke w/ ATI card? or user error?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jahns
Smoke w/ ATI card? or user error?
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:02:17 pm

I'm trying out the Smoke 2011 SP3 demo, and I'm seeing some strange behavior. Everything was going fine until the keying exercise, and after creating the matte, etc... whenever I went back to EditDesk, my top layer completely disappears in PreviewFX mode. When I click ViewSrc, the greenscreen shot is still there, but in PreviewFX, it disappears. When I go into the keying module, everything is there, but it disappears when back at the edit desk.

Same thing in the tracking demo - my top layer completely disappears when in Preview FX at the EditDesk.

Any ideas?

I thought it must be some user error - like I accidentally clicked some other mode, but I even re-installed the tutorial project from scratch and followed the demo exactly, click for click.

I'm not using an NVDIA grfx card - is it possible that my ATI 3870 card is not rendering properly? Seems like long shot, but that's pretty much all I can think of...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mac Pro 3,1 OctoCore 3 GHz
6GB RAM
Kona 3
ATI Radeon HD 3870
10.6.3, KONA v8, etc..

Return to posts index

Alan Maiden
Re: Smoke w/ ATI card? or user error?
on Aug 5, 2010 at 11:18:55 am

It's not as simple as you've turned the layer off on the left hand side is it! In 2011 there is now a little 'eye' symbol by your timeline layer which turns the layer on or off.

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:40:40 pm

No, I've tried that for sure. The clip shows up when in View Source mode, so the layer is definitely on. And the crazy thing is in Axis / Edit and Keying mode, the effects show up and look great - just not when I go back to the edit desk.

I guess I can proceed with the demo and just evaluate the tools in each individual mode. I was hoping to be able to actually finish a spot or two in my 30 day trial period. Not sure what will happen when I get to output stage, but I guess I'll find out...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Aug 5, 2010 at 1:52:16 pm

I think that's an issue with the ATI card. I have heard it mentioned before and everyone has had an ATI card.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:24:56 pm

Pretty sure it's the ATI. Isn't NVidia the only true supported chipset?

I'm working on a proper Autodesk certified linux workstation... even then PreviewFX sometimes gives me "scrambled" results until I render. I just chalk it up the realtime engine being a bit buggy.

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:07:20 pm

I cant even install the Smoke 2011 demo with my ATI 4870 card.. it says must have nVidia.. how did you bypass ths?

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:11:58 pm

Strange.

It never said anything like that to me. All I had to do was upgrade to 10.6.3.

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:11:25 pm

You'll need the NVIDIA FX4800 for Mac graphics card to run with Smoke on Mac. The other supposedly supported card is the NVIDIA FX5600 if you can still find one.

Check it out : http://area.autodesk.com/smokeonmac/sys_reqs

-chrispy

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:01:30 pm

I know it's the only officially "supported" card, but I seem to recall people saying they even installed it on a Macbook Pro laptop - but of course performance wasn't the same.

Seems to work ok with the ATI for learning the interface & workflow, as once I go into the FX modules, it works ok, but at the Edit Desk and Rendering, not so good.

I was hoping to be able to take a project from locked cut in FCP or Avid, all the way through final deliverable to HDCAM-SR within the 30-day trial, and if I decided to plunk down the 17K, I'd add another $2k or so for the NVDIA card. Guess I might have to take the leap of faith, eh?

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:38:32 am

Macbook Pro's generally have Nvidia chipsets.... so they can "run" Smoke to a degree.

The high-end version of Smoke/Flame/Inferno only support a VERY limited range of hardware. Hence they can write extremely optimized code that is very robust and reliable.

Unfortunately FCP works better with ATI.

Return to posts index

Barry Goch
on Aug 14, 2010 at 7:38:43 am

A friend of mine had the same issue with the ATI graphic chip in an iMac. It's not you...it's your graphic card.

Barry

Return to posts index

Frederic Warren
on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:28:52 pm

The ATI 4870 (on OSX 10.6.4) is now officially supported in the newest release of Smoke on Mac, 2011 Extension 1.

We have not certified the 5870 yet, but it should work. It is however not officially supported.

fred

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]