FORUMS: list search recent posts

BM Decklink

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Hinds
BM Decklink
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:20:12 am

Are Autodesk going to support the Decklink cards to offer users more options apart from the Kona3?

Rory Hinds
mine
http://www.minefilms.com

Return to posts index

Todd Jaspers
Re: BM Decklink
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:46:48 am

Autodesk uses AJA OEM 2k XENA for their high end work stations, Inferno, Flame, Flare, Flint, Smoke, and Lustre, basically they write the drivers from scratch. So basically short answer, NO. Long answer, NEVER. Also Blackmagic doesn't have as an extensive track record in the USA as AJA does, and Autodesk's biggest markets are in the USA.

SO AJA. ALL. THE. WAY.

Return to posts index

Todd Jaspers
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:52:52 am

ALSO, why are you selling your KONA3 card, then asking about SMOKE supporting the BLACKMAGIC? Are you hoping that DaVinci is all its cracked up to be?

Just saw your posting at THE AREA

<i><b> Kona3 & K3box for sale
contact rory"at"minefilms"dot"com </b></i>

If DaVinci supports AJA it'll be better, no offence to Blackmagic, but AJA makes the PORSCHE and Blackmagic makes the PORSCHE KNOCK OFF ASSEMBLED IN CHINA. Maybe not that dramatic, but AJA makes a better card.

Return to posts index

Todd Jaspers
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:53:37 am

ALSO, why are you selling your KONA3 card, then asking about SMOKE supporting the BLACKMAGIC? Are you hoping that DaVinci is all its hyped up to be?

Just saw your posting at THE AREA

<i><b> Kona3 & K3box for sale
contact rory"at"minefilms"dot"com </b></i>

If DaVinci supports AJA it'll be better, no offence to Blackmagic, but AJA makes the PORSCHE and Blackmagic makes the PORSCHE KNOCK OFF ASSEMBLED IN CHINA. Maybe not that dramatic, but AJA makes a better card.

Return to posts index

Rory Hinds
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:18:45 pm

yeah was thinking of selling my Kona3 and getting the Decklink as its more important to me that I get Resolve running then have SDI out of Smoke.

I have asked over at the Davinci forum if BM will support Kona3 but have not heard back from them yet.

Yes I think it would be easier for BM to support Kona than Autodesk to support DeckLink.
Either way I want both Resolve and Smoke on the same machine and the Mac doesn't have enough slots to support both cards in at the same time.

Rory Hinds
mine

Return to posts index

Hans von Sonntag
on Jul 24, 2010 at 1:35:25 pm

Rory,

having a similar setup like you but using SpeedGrade XR for telecine/grading I doubt that the deckling card in conjunction with Resolve will do anything beneficial for you.

No grading application that I know is able to spit out RT 1080p via SDI while you grade unless you have a Nvidia SDI card installed (Windows, Linux only). The Decklink card in connection with Resolve may out put 1080p in RT AFTER rendering but not while you grade. If Resolve could do that a Nvidia SDI would be obsolete and so the 50K the Linux version of Resolve. I doubt that.

If SDI out is important for you I would stick with the Kona3 in Smoke.

Hans

Return to posts index

Rory Hinds
on Jul 24, 2010 at 3:56:49 pm

Hey Hans

Yeah I'm thinking that too.
I read an interview with Grant from BM and he has stated that they will support the "competitor" so I think AJA support is coming... makes since as they know Smoke is out on the Mac and the Smoke/Resolve combo is quite the package... well Smoke/Resolve and Nuke :-)

Rory Hinds
mine

Return to posts index

Todd Jaspers
on Jul 25, 2010 at 3:53:54 am

Blackmagic might as well sell a bunch of DECKLINK cards right off the batt if they ca, I mean even at $1995, Davinci is a great price. We'll all buy decklinks, do our first round of DaVinci grading, then when they have a version that supports the KONA3, we'll all go back to AJA hardware.

Return to posts index

Rory Hinds
on Jul 25, 2010 at 4:06:32 am

but but what if you want run Smoke on the same system.
Swopping out the cards to change the app would pretty much suck

Rory Hinds
mine

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:55:37 pm

Todd - you're a dink.
Do your homework before making unfounded and uneducated comments.

Return to posts index

Shane Betts
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:57:23 am

Hans, as I understand it, one of Resolve's 'tricks' is its ability to process in the GPU, then pass the downstream back through the bus so that it can be viewed via something like a Decklink or Kona. Think about it, if the video needed to be sent one-way only out through the graphics card actually doing the processing, how would you monitor a multi-GPU card system built across several Linux boxes on one monitor?

Smoke, as far as I understand it, has similar abilities, using the GPU to do the real time render and then passing the processed image back through the bus to the (in this case) Kona 3.

Rory, we're a BMD house but I have the feeling that Resolve will support Kona 3 before Smoke supports Decklink but, as others have said, it's just a card - no biggie.

Cheers
Bettsy

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Aug 8, 2010 at 10:59:08 pm

Hans you are incorrect. That is the whole point of Resolve on a Mac. It does allow real time playback of graded HD material with no rendering whatsoever. Decklink is just used for 10 bit SDI output, as OSX doesn't support 10 bit or SDI.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:37:40 am

Hi,

This is a message from Grant Petty, CEO of Blackmagic Design in response to this thread:

Hi,

We usually keep postings to our own CreativeCow forums but there are some erroneous statements made here about our products being cheap knock offs and made in China that we need to correct.

Over the years, Blackmagic Design has introduced technologies and products well before anyone else. DeckLink HD Extreme 3D cards have 3 Gb/s SDI, internal and external keying, hardware up, down and cross version, 12 bit support, HDMI, analog video and 16 channel SDI embedded audio support. It comes with our own Media Express software with DPX, batch capturing, mastering to tape support and more. As you can see, this is a feature rich product and can hardly be called a cheap knock off.

Back in 2007, we introduced 3 Gb/s SDI into our products, including a new real time, full 24 fps capture and playback of full aperture 2K (2048 x 1556). This made film workflows as simple as video workflow so now full aperture 2K can be routed via routers and also sent to HDLinks for monitoring. We also published the specification of this format in our user manuals so that anyone can implement and adopt this technology.

Sony has just introduced this 2K format in their latest SRW-5800/2 HDCAM SR decks, so we can hardly be considered making cheap products if we are developing and introduction technologies that Sony ends up adopting.

We just introduced the worlds first USB 3.0 video products, and the UltraStudio Pro is a design like nothing else the broadcast industry has ever seen and I think its innovative and a practical solution that looks good while hiding all the cables. These are totally unique products that we spent years developing.

We also have a long track record in the US, and it's our biggest market. We have multiple engineering facilities here, and the center of our support network is based in the US, plus most of our component suppliers are US based as well. We have always had a strong US presence, and we are hiring more people in the US than we are in any other country right now. We also just purchased EchoLab, which we will announce in a few days time, and that gives us an even bigger US presence and track record.

As to which card is the best? I think that's difficult to answer. Different products have different features, and the whole point of being open is so that customers can buy the products that best suit their requirements. If you like something else, then you're free to buy it but there's no reason to be so vindictive towards us. We love competition because it helps everyone improve and ultimately, the customer benefits. Without our products, do you think you would be paying so little for cards from other brands that you like?

Now, to address Rory's original question about Smoke compatibility.

We have been asking AutoDesk for almost a year now about that. Until they did the Mac version, we did not have much interest in Smoke because it was a closed system that customers could not assemble themselves. However, the introduction of the Mac version changed that.

We are so keen on supporting Smoke on the Mac that we have almost completed the video component for DeckLink cards without their help. There's only some small remaining bits left that we need from AutoDesk to finish it. Hopefully, AutoDesk will get back to us quickly and we should see some results soon.

We originally started Blackmagic Design not to make low cost products, although that's fun to do because it's so hard to do. The reality us we are from the post production industry and we started doing this back in 1995 because we just wanted to be able to use computer software such as Adobe Photoshop for high end broadcast graphics. This was in the days before Final Cut Pro, when you had to use an Abacus A66 disk recorder with ethernet to get video between the SDI and computer worlds.

It's funny to think back, but my first product was an SD still store card with Photoshop plugins back in 1997 which cost $4,000!

We wanted to use software such as Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere for post production because they were great tools then, and are still great today. We did not want to be locked into a particular turnkey system and adding an SDI card into a computer and using these open software tools was the way to do it. We thought this could be an amazing future, and even thought I asked everyone I could talk to at SIGGRAPH 1994, everyone said there was no market for it. So we started making video products to do it ourselves.

This is why we have fought for over 15 years to ensure that things are open and remain open. That's what Blackmagic Design is about.

This is also the reason why we even visited the NAB booths of other capture card and control surface manufacturers on the very day DaVinci Resolve on the Mac was announced at NAB 2010. We wanted them to know we were going to open up DaVinci if they wanted to support it on their producers. So far, some have responded very positively to that, so that's exciting.

Smoke is the only software I have ever seen that runs on the Mac that supports capture and playback of video, but does not let you use any video hardware to capture and or playback video.

I think this is really bad, as it cripples what people can do in their workflow. We are talking with them, and it's looking good, but please help us by letting Autodesk know if your using other brand video cards and want them to work.

Could you imagine buying some software and then finding it only prints on a single model from a single brand of printer? It would be weird.

I hope this updates everyone.

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Gianni Salvador
on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:51:18 pm

Please, don't forget to support Avid (DS and mediacomposer after Matrox did it)sooner or later...
Thanks

Return to posts index

Arthur Puig
Re: Message to Grant Petty
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:29:18 am

First of all, thank you Grant for giving us Resolve!!!

It's a dream come true! And thank you for all the revolutionary products you and your company comes up with.

After reading your message, I couldn't help to notice that while you're absolutely right stating how bad it is that Smoke can only use a Kona 3.

"Could you imagine buying some software and then finding it only prints on a single model from a single brand of printer? It would be weird"

Having said that, would it be equally weird for resolve to support only a Decklink, and not support a Kona 3, or other video cards?

Return to posts index

Shane Betts
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:43:24 am

Hi Arthur

Grant has stated, both publicly and privately, that Resolve will support other cards at some stage. That's what his comment about printers indicates I believe. You then get to make the choice.

Cheers
Bettsy

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:01:11 am

Hi Arthur,

Grant would fully agree with you and in fact covered this topic in some of the PR back at NAB 2010 when Resolve for Mac was first announced. He not only wants to have a choice of Blackmagic and third party capture cards but similarly more choices of control surface than just the DaVinci Control Surface and the Tangent Devices Wave. He would also like more choices for the GUI and GPU cards although that might be more tricky.

The same post from which you quoted also contained the following quote from Grant Petty:

"This is also the reason why we even visited the NAB booths of other capture card and control surface manufacturers on the very day DaVinci Resolve on the Mac was announced at NAB 2010. We wanted them to know we were going to open up DaVinci if they wanted to support it on their producers. So far, some have responded very positively to that, so that's exciting."

Resolve 7.0 for Mac has been a massive undertaking and is the first Mac version of Resolve and initially supports a limited range of hardware. Once it has been released, Grant wants to build upon the existing foundation and add support for other third party hardware and I know he's specifically mentioned Kona cards before.

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]