FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA preview Smoke Mac

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milan Michalik
AJA preview Smoke Mac
on Jul 2, 2010 at 4:41:57 pm

Hi guys, just I wonder, if the Mac version of Smoke and AJA work the same way as the linux version does. In Smoke on linux, you see the video preview includes all the buttons or gmasks etc, actually, it is a croped copy of the monitor screen. Does it work on Mac in the same way through Kona 3 ? or it is only the video preview itself (similar to Final Cut etc.) ?
Thank you for the information in advance.

Milan

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
Re: AJA preview Smoke Mac
on Jul 6, 2010 at 12:00:06 pm

Hi,

Yes to your question.

Both Linux and Mac versions of Smoke have the same options.

If you go into your preferences and choose the Broadcast monitor option.

You will see an option called "Show Selected Item" - this will give you a broadcast output to your broadcast monitor

You can change it to "ScreenGrab" - This will display the screen-grab version of your UI on your broadcast monitor.

You can choose which ever one suits you.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Milan Michalik
on Jul 6, 2010 at 12:17:55 pm

Hallo Grant,
Thank you for the answer very much ... and also for the nice tutorials you do on the Autodesk page :-)

... just one thing I dont understand well ... I am with Miranda on Smoke linux so I've never seen the FX5600/5800 SDI monitoring preview (different then Miranda). If I work on Smoke Mac with SHOW SELECTED ITEM (not the screen grab), will AJA output the standard 720x576 output by PAL project and 1920x1080 by HD project - the same way as Final Cut Pro / Premiere / Avid exports the preview ? Or it is only some croped and zoomed UI window copy ? I speak about the Smoke Mac AJA preview, not about the deck I/O...

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jul 9, 2010 at 8:19:15 am

Hi,

The Smoke on Linux using the miranda is legacy hardware. The only way it worked was doing a UI screengrab as you mentioned. All newer systems don't use the Miranda anymore.

Smoke on the Mac (as well as Linux now) have multiple options. Using the "Selected Item" option which is the default in the broadcast monitor menu, when you are in a PAL project, you will see a full PAL output on your monitor. When you are in an HD project, you will see a full HD 1920x1080 output on the Broadcast monitor (like all other applications).

You could switch to the old screengrab method if you wanted to but it has superseded by a proper full broadcast output. Makes working with HD a much better option.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]