FORUMS: list search recent posts

A couple of basic questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Jacobsen
A couple of basic questions
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:09:55 pm

Hi all,

There’s a few few things I’ve never quite understood or worked out about Smoke.

If anyone can shed any light on any of the below it’d be much appreciated.

1) If use a Gmask on a resized image in timeline I can’t seem to find a way of viewing the FGND with the resize in the mask menu, ie in context. Seems very strange. If I promote this to Batch or Action I get the context option and it works as I would expect.

Is this right, is it just a processing thing? Something I have to live with?

2) If I create a text layer – perhaps with drop shadows and texts of different sizes – and I then want to scale it all down, when I put a axis/scale effect on it it also scales down the layer below. How can I do this?

This happened when I had a newspaper quote in different sizes with drop shadows and I simply wanted to put a slight grow on it. I’m ashamed to say, I couldn’t work out how to do it 

Well, there’s probably a few more, but that’ll do for now 

Cheers

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: A couple of basic questions
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:07:58 pm

1) Soft effects (time effects are soft effects) are not full featured effects like the modules on the desktop or in action or batch. You problem maybe related to this. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

2) You want to use a gap effect to do this. A gap effect is where you create an empty layer above your current layers, and apply an axis effect in the gap effect. This axis gap effect will affect all layers below it. This should do what you want to do.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Dan Jacobsen
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:23:46 pm

Hi Moody,

1) Yes I guess it's just limited functionality, not a really a problem, I'll just use Action.

2)Sorry, I didn't explain that too well. The fact that gap effects effect all layers below is precisely my problem.

I have Footage on Layer 1, Text as a Gap effect on layer 2. If I use axis on layer 2 to scale the text, it shrinks not only the text but the footage on layer 1.

I cannot use scale on the text effect itself as the fonts are different sizes and I can't put the text on black then use an additive key and axis to scale (as I have done before) because of the drop shadow. So I'm stumpted.

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:39:35 pm

Hi Dan,

I just ran into your problem #2 the other day while going through the tutorials.

It was doubly confusing because I'm pretty sure the autodesk manual specifically spelled out the same procedure you're trying to do...make a text gap effect then animate it using the axis soft effect on the text layer.

Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Apr 30, 2010 at 4:08:55 pm

Oops, I found it... (in the manual of all places)

In the text soft fx, enable RGBA in the alpha processing box.

"The RGBA option processes the Text soft effect using the text layers as
an alpha channel. You can now modify and animate the text in 3D space
independently of the video layers below it."

It's amazing what you can find in the manual once you look for it...LOL!

Return to posts index

Dan Jacobsen
on May 5, 2010 at 10:21:16 am

Hey I found it too. Thanks for the response though.

The manual's pretty good I find, It's just the index that's rubbish :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]