FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export settings for clips to email

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Jacobsen
Export settings for clips to email
on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:08:20 am

Hi all,

I’m trying to find (and understand :)) some good settings so I can quickly export a clip (usually less than 60sec) into a form that I can email.

I imagine I should use MPG4.

I thought by changing the data rate I could limit the size of the clip to 5MB or less and so be safe to email.

I did a few tests and got very confused by the results.

Using the same material looped I made a 10sec, 30sec and 60sec clip.

I then exported these once with the MPG4 default setting and once by changing the data rate to 5000/number of seconds of clip. I thought this would give me a K/sec data rate that would keep the size around 5MB.

These are the results:

30sec Default (data rata was 800) 8.6MB

30sec data rate set to 167 (5000/30) 8.3MB

10sec Default (data rata was 800) 3.1MB

10sec data rate set to 167 (5000/30) 3MB

60sec Default (data rata was 800) 16.9MB

60sec data rate set to 167 (5000/30) 16.5MB

I then realised I should have shrunk the picture so I exported the clip on default and resized to 426x240 and it was 8.5MB

So it seems changing data rate or size had no effect on the size of the end file. Even though the pictures on the lower data rate files looked far worse.

Can anyone explain this to me? Or give me some tips on how to generate <=5MB clips from footage of 60sec or less. >

Cheers

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Export settings for clips to email
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:04:16 pm

I'm not sure about why the data rate doesnt seem to affect the file size of the mpeg. But, if you hold the data rate constant, and decrease the frame size, you will end up at the same file size because it will use all of that data rate to make a higher quality, but smaller image. I hope that makes sense.

What we do over here, is we export an uncompressed quicktime, and send it to a work station do do compression. Usually, we use compressor to compress files to email out. I think adobe also has a compression program, and I think we have used that on occasion to make some files.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Dan Jacobsen
Re: Export settings for clips to email
on Apr 30, 2010 at 1:10:26 pm

Ok Thx Moody,

I will just do it by trial and error i think. Although I'll have a quick look at those progs...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]