FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke Layoff vs. FCP

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Merkwan
Smoke Layoff vs. FCP
on Apr 24, 2010 at 12:07:23 pm

i was just wondering lets say you layoff a 16bit targa sequence to HDCAM SR from a smoke, and lay the same file off in FCP as uncompressed 10bit. Is the quality from Smoke better? or does HDCAM SR only process 10bit? Thanks.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Smoke Layoff vs. FCP
on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:43:59 pm

The truth is, HDCAM SR is slightly compressed. Not that anyone can see it, but it is.
So, I think it is more a matter of which I/O you prefer, FCP or Smoke. Presonally, I think FCP I/O is terrible and I would use the Smoke.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Michael Merkwan
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:24:45 pm

Do you know if there is a difference in the color space and or quality of the signal? If you put the too tapes up side by side and A / B'd would it be obvious? I don't have the equipment to run tests. I know Smoke is higher quality than Final Cut obviously, but for broadcast output i just want to know the facts. Anyone?? Thanks for your response Moody. Appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Johnson
on Apr 28, 2010 at 2:06:56 am

We've done tests in the smoke of media output in ProRes from FCP, and compared it to footage natively captured in the smoke from tape. Using a subtract layer mode, there is no visible difference. You can see some sporadic pixels, but for all most all practical purposes there is no degradation.

I wouldn't say there is a quality difference in outputting, but rendering effects is a different story.

Kevin Johnson

Autodesk Smoke Artist
FCP Editor
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]