FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke not importing XML's

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Evely
Smoke not importing XML's
on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:49:45 am

Hi all - have regularly found nuggets of info on this site, so thought seeing as im stumped id ask for a little help.

I'm testing a smoke/fcp workflow in which everything seems to work fine, i.e.

1] Ingest media on FCP
2] Export XML
3] Import XML into Smoke
4] Soft import media and relink
5] Finish spot
6] Export out 10bit QT from smoke

Lovely - the quicktimes work a treat in FCP too, however if i use the quicktime in an edit and export out an XML again, neither Smoke or FCP will import it, both of which spew out errors?

I can't see any differences in the XML and it only happens when its referencing quicktime files that Smoke has made. Odd that it wont import back into FCP?

I've done a file import into Smoke and the quicktime is fine, looks really good, so its not a format thing - ANY IDEAS ANYONE!

Thanks in advance
NEil

Neil Evely
London

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Smoke not importing XML's
on Apr 20, 2010 at 1:12:31 pm

Interesting. Is your Smoke on OSX or Linux? Version?
Did you export from Smoke via the export options? or WTC? I am guessimg Export since WTC doesn't do 10bit.

If you are on Linux, I know that it uses libquicktime since there is no real QT for Linux. So perhaps there is something there that is creating an issue. But that's just a guess.

Return to posts index

Neil Evely
on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:06:40 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply - yes its an OSX Smoke and yes i exported straight from the Smoke, not WTC.

The files are great quality, and both Final Cut and Smoke will import them happily but they both hate the XMLs that reference the file.

Someone has suggested that its corrupting the XML, but I'm struggling to see the anomaly.

Any help gratefully received.

NEil

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Apr 20, 2010 at 4:16:44 pm

Have you tried giving the quicktime file a reel assignment?

I did a quick test here, and was able to replicate the problem you described. Once I assigned the QT file a reel assignment in FCP, and re exported the XML, I no longer got an error importing the XML into Smoke.

Give that a try and let us know if that works for you.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Neil Evely
on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:26:56 am

Thanks Moody - I'll give it a whirl asap and let you know.

Cheers
NEil

Neil Evely
London

Return to posts index

Neil Evely
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:42:40 pm

That's great Moody, it worked a treat - im going to look into writing a script to get Final Cut Server to do it automatically so i can export from my XSAN.

Thanks for your help
NEil

Neil Evely
London

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]