FORUMS: list search recent posts

a list of facilities that use smoke, etc.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Turners
a list of facilities that use smoke, etc.
on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:14:25 am

I'm curious if there is some kind of list of facilities that use/purchased smoke? Particularly smoke on mac.

Heck,
it would be interesting if there was a database of all the companies and the different tools they use.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: a list of facilities that use smoke, etc.
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:42:48 pm

If such a list exists, it would be very valuable to sales person. I would be willing to bet that anyone who had such a list, either is selling it, or using it to get sales, and not interested in handing it out.

There are websites that have company listing, like Creative Cow for example. Generally this information is submitted by the company with the listing, so how up to date the information is depends on who is submitting it.

Also, I'm sure Autodesk has some sort of database with their licensing department that could tell you who owns a Smoke or a Flame. (At least a legal copy of it) I would be surprised if they are willing to give out their client list...

good luck.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 20, 2010 at 12:20:24 am

You can look at their sales PDFs for image credits. You can look at their 2010 NAB reel and take note of the companies.

WTHR-TV (me) have 2 Smokes (Linux & SGI)

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
on Apr 21, 2010 at 5:08:18 am

True,
It's a weird thing though,
trying to motivate people to learn Smoke, now that it is on Mac.. when the people who are investing in learning this program have no idea if anyone is even picking it up, making it valuable to learn...

quite the predicament.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 21, 2010 at 1:49:50 pm

It's not like Smoke is new. Some on OSX is like v10 or v11 in reality.

It's just that it was always a post house and big production tool. And on SGI it was very expensive. Now that they market has changed and Linux is useful and now OSX 64bit... Smoke can work it's way into other workflows like broadcast.

And if you learn Smoke, it is just a short hop to running a Flame. If you have the talent, you can advance your career and actually have more paths to choose from since you can go broadcast, small post, or big facility.

Certainly worth learning and investing in.

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:06:08 pm

A couple of other points. Because the flame and smoke interfaces look similar (from a client's point of view) facilities who invest in smoke on Mac can expect a faster ROI since clients will pay increased rates if they see a suite that is vastly different to the FCP desktop.
Also, clients tend to take a dim view of being charged professional editing rates to work on something that "their kid has on his laptop".
Facilities should invest in up-skilling their FCP artists purely from a financial impact perspective.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]