FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke Linux - Mount NTFS volume

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Lowden
Smoke Linux - Mount NTFS volume
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:27:32 pm

Hello
I am attempting to see what is possible for new workflows with Smoke 2010. I want to attach the smoke to a terrablock server. The terrablock partition can be formatted to ext3 but this is of no interest to me as I want the server to be used as a fast 4gig fibre copy system for large files (Red etc). For practical purposes, I would prefer to keep the server volumes in NTFS so that all the machines (avid, protools etc) in the system can work off the same partitions, centralising all media associated to a project, including smoke project archives. I understand the Discreet install their own version of Redhat and my supplier says that if I install even an ntfs plug, the machine assistance is invalid. But I cannot believe that Discreet, who now offers soft import of certain media files, has not thought that of letting the mounting of other disk types other than ext3? So has anyone done this? I can't believe I'm the first to try this.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Smoke Linux - Mount NTFS volume
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:11:04 am

I think that you can mount an NTFS volume. I just think that it is read only.

Return to posts index

Christopher Lowden
on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:26:37 am

There are linux NTFS plug ins available (http://www.linux-ntfs.org, http://www.paragon-software.com/ntfs_linux_index.html). Why would discreet not allow the installation of such a solution?

Return to posts index

Matt Riley
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:40:06 am

I followed that link but it gave me a 404. Doh!

Anyway, my guess is that the plug-in you linked to might be a kernel extension (or something that runs at a low level in the system). Autodesk provides their own kernel for Linux systems (DKU - discreet kernel utility) so I would be careful about anything that migh muck with things at the kernel level. Autodesk provides their own kernel for good reason - they have things tuned to favor the performance of their applications (the reason you buy the box to hopefully make a living). If something causes stability/performance issues then the box isn\'t as useful as it should be and you probably aren\'t making any money with it because it is broken.

There are user-level drivers available for Linux (fuse) that allow mounting and working with all kinds of file systems. However, the performance probabaly won\'t be what you expect because of this. The upshot is that a user-level process shouldn\'t be able to take the system down and is easier to enable/disable as needed.

You can also mount windows file shares (smb) via the tools already present on hour system. Over gigabit Ethernet, you should be able to get upwards of 30 MB/sec, which may be fast enough for your needs. Mounting is relatively easy and can be done automatically at startup via fstab so you don\'t have to remember how to do it once you get it working.

You can also go the fibre channel route in a SAN environment with a stornext license. I do this with smoke in an Xsan setup and it is quite nice. Expensive, but nice. ;-)

-Matt

Return to posts index

Christopher Lowden
on Mar 11, 2010 at 6:41:57 am

Many thanks. You are confirming what I have heard elsewhere. Seemingly Autodesk are pursuing a very restrictive logic. That is their business. I already have smb working but my archive average 300gigs and it takes too long to get them up into the stone. I am investigating the Terrablock that claims to be able to work in Stone FS. But all in all, I am astonished that Autodesk pursues a logic virtually everyother manufacturer has abandoned. Autodesk wants to start to soft importing other file formats but the file copy times on smb are just too long. They must make their system more open.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]