FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help smoke 2008

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hipkiss
Help smoke 2008
on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:22:33 am

Help with my workflow, I am working on a project where the artist has filmed 16 hd camera angles of the same scene, Then we will project them using three hd projectors.

You will have a wall of screens and the actors dance in and out.

The scene is 10mins long,

I am new to smoke here is where I am, I have a canvas w5760 h1080 and need to add the takes from the angle sync them be able to watch then move into different positions if needed then render.

When i resize and place the clip in axis the framestare runs out of space even to render one clip

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Help smoke 2008
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:43:07 pm

OK.. so do you only have 16 clips that are 10 mins each? What are their sizes? 1920x1080? Did they come from TAPE or from FILE (QT?)

Are you using 5760w just for seeing if the clips blend from scene to scene? Are you rendering 3 clips to 1920x1080?

Return to posts index

John Hipkiss
on Feb 24, 2010 at 4:00:30 pm

yes 16 clips HD from QT, Yes editing in 5wide so we can see the interaction between the footage in the screens and the thing as a whole.

At the end we will render out 3 separate screens, for 3 hd projectors.

To make this even harder, there are 7 different scenes/setups of the same angles in the same room, but with different clothes and stuff moved day/night.

They will all end up in one 10min time line, I think it is to much for our 1.5tb framestore, I hope there is a solution??

I have found vertical editing and using axis runs out of space after 5 clips,

In dve I then lose the trimming on the clips.

Thanks for any help

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:08:56 pm

What are your QT Codecs? Have you thought about soft importing them and that way you only have to bring in proxies on to your framestore.

Draft quality is very usable and it generates fast.
Are you on Linux or Tezro?

Here is the basis for soft-importing. I do this all the time with P2 footage in 2010.
This goes for LINUX: If you are on Tezro it's just a matter of getting an external drive/server mounted.

0. Create a project with proxies at 50% and Draft
This wil create 960x540 images on your framestore. If you need touse less space, then you can go to 40% It wil affect the quality of the proxy images.
1. Compile all of your QT sources onto a USB drive.
2. Mount the drive and got to the IMPORT menu
3. select your aources and at the bottom, choose soft-import and then if you have backburner setup, then you can create proxies in the background. If not you will have to wait for proxy generation on import.
4. Once your clips are imported, you can work in proxy mode. You will still be able to see the High Rez images but they will not play in realtime. The proxies will as they are on your framestore.
5. Work and view in proxies. You can even ender in proxies.
6. When you like what you have, just do a full rez render (normal process)

Here is the breakdown of storage when I work with P2. I can bring in 60 mins of P2 at 1080i and by soft import I only use 12 mins of framestore.

Return to posts index

John Hipkiss
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:47:41 pm

I tried this, then made 16 layers in the timeline, placed the proxies on and placed and sized them using axis.

It is like it renders the small image and all the black and this is what takes up the framestores space?

From each layer it needs 20mins of the framestore, Using the DVE gets around the framestore render but I cant re trim the clips, make changes.

Back to After Effects in the morning

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:50:46 pm

So are you saying that you are soft importing the QT files? If so then you should only be using about 32 mins of Framestore space. 16cam x 10min = 160mins/.2 = 32mins.

It does depend on your timeline how much gets rendered. If you have 16 layers at 10 mins each then that will take a lot of space even at proxy render.

Have you tried to get the timing right on the timeline and then extract a MULTI-Trak clip to render in the DVE?

Ultimately you are compensating for lack of framestore space.

Return to posts index

John Hipkiss
on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:18:39 pm

I think that is the only way to do is in the DVE, I will try in the morning.

At the moment we have the framestore we can afford, inside the HP worksation there is space for 4 or 5 sata drives, could we install drives and build a slow second framestore?

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:20:41 pm

I honestly wouldn't recommend it. Five SATA drives in a RAID 5 config probably won't get you the performance you need, at least not near the performance of an external RAID. Also, think of the heat generated by those 5 drives... Without adequate cooling you are putting additional stress on your system.

If you do try it, let me know how it goes.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]