FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke on Mac - Realtime Capabilities

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Bellias
Smoke on Mac - Realtime Capabilities
on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:57:08 pm

I just installed and started experimenting with Smoke on my Mac. I have a qualified system (8 Core 2008 Intel/Quadro FX 4800/AJA Kona 3/Maxx Digital 16 TB Raid). I understand and now see how versatile and powerful this tool is. I have not worked with or spent a lot of time seeing Smoke run on a typical Linux system, so I am not sure how the power and speed of the Mac version compares.

I am curious what realtime capabilities I could expect from the Mac version (by realtime, I mean view full res & speed without processing). I imported some HD ProRes clips via hard and soft imports to test with. Both played fine on the timeline. I did notice that as soon as I turned on the CC soft effect, both clips required processing to play without dropping frames even without making any changes in the CC editor. I then placed 2 clips on top of each other on the timeline and did simple transformations to each. I made both 50% scale and repositioned them. This also required processing to play back without dropping frames.

Anyway, is this what I should expect or is something not configured correctly in my setup. As I stated earlier, I am very impressed with this software and the processing is very fast. I just want to make sure I have it configured correctly to achieve maximum performance in order to best evaluate it for my business.

Thanks,

George Bellias
Jade Productions

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Smoke on Mac - Realtime Capabilities
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:31:25 pm

That sounds about right in terms of realtime playback. I'm in the habit of processing effects as I go, since many effects needs processing to playback in realtime.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:20:47 pm

pretty much the only thing that you get in realtime is dissolves. Everything else has to be rendered.

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:21:26 pm

But the speed at which it renders should be fast.

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:42:26 pm

My mac on smoke with a 2.8 oct mac pro, renders faster than my linux 8600. If that means anything to anyone.

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]