FORUMS: list search recent posts

relinking soft-imports

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lederman
relinking soft-imports
on Jan 14, 2010 at 8:58:04 pm

Smoke on Mac. All graphics soft-imported, then changed location on hard-=drive of graphics. Is there any way to re-link the soft imports or do I need to re-soft import and re do the work?
Thanks in advance.

Rob Lederman
Sr. Smoke Editor / Compositor
North Avenue Post
rob@northavenuepost.com

Return to posts index

nick hasson
Re: relinking soft-imports
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:41:19 pm

You can import the gfx into a source reel. . Then take your record clip and place it in the same source area. Then under tools there is relink. Select the record clip and hit relink. It should find the clips by itself

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jan 15, 2010 at 10:11:44 am

Hey Nick, Long time no see. I was trying out the 30 day license and had no luck in relinking to an XML I loaded. Watched the tutorial, tried every bit of advice and it just wouldn't do it. Smoke found all the media and even listed it as re-linkable and still no go. It was 720p 60 U/C. Oh well.

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:42:25 am

Hi,

The one thing that people are possibly missing is that you may need to reformat the timeline before linking it to the material.

In the recapture module, you import/soft-import your material through the import tab. You go to the relink tab. Select one of the imported entries and under the reformat options, choose "Copy from Selected Clip". This will update the values of the resolution to the specific values of the selected clip. Click the reformat button and confirm.

When you press relink now, it should relink back to your material.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:00:00 pm

Hi Grant and thanks but that was one of the tips I got from the Area and I tried it and it still didn't work. I tried timecode from edl, reel from edl, soft resize, changed consolidate handles to 5 frames, get settings from clip and reformat - confirm -, and every possible variation. Relink just says nothing done files not found even though it has already found all of the files and imports all of them with the empty timeline file all in a reel. So then I tried relinking in the library with timeline and all clips in the same reel and it does nothing. Once again this was with 720P 60 captured in FCP 7 using XML type 3 - 5 didn't work either. This timeline was cuts only and fairly short and the only thing unusual was that it was 2 layers.
Thanks again, I tried every setting I could and it just won't work with this xml and footage. I have not tried with another resolution.

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:00:49 pm

Hey robert! How are ya! I have had trouble with XML as well. I landed up just using an edl to conform and then I copied all the setting from the unlinked XML to the media from the edl.

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:03:29 pm

Thanks Nick. That brings up another question - deck control. I have the Kona 3 installed and go into import clip and can see video etc, but get no serial control and it says there is no deck there. Is there some special place to add a deck? I went into engineering and I didn't see anything in there or preferences either. FCP finds the deck fine so I no it's not a bad connection.

Return to posts index

nick hasson
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:03:33 pm

Good question. On the linux machines you had to add a deck setup somewhere. So far i have only used it with files. No Tape.

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:33:51 pm

I've just started playing with the demo, so sorry if this is a dumb suggestion...but I noticed a bunch of deck configuration parameters in the seperate Smoke Setup app.

Jason

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Jan 18, 2010 at 1:26:52 pm

Hi Jason,

This separate app is actually the configuration file for Smoke. So if you want to have certain VTRs available to you in Smoke, you need to enable them and close the configuration app before starting smoke.

Then in the capture module in Smoke, you will be able to choose the VTR from the list.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Grant

Check out my Flame and Smoke blog at http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/discreetuk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]