FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke and Kona

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bjarki Gudjonsson
Smoke and Kona
on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:29:53 am

Hi guys.

This might not be the right place to ask this question, but does anyone know why the Kona 3 card is the only option available to Smoke users (which I think should be called Smokers)? I have an LHi on one machine and was wondering what the real difference is.

Thanks,
Bjarki

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: Smoke and Kona
on Dec 28, 2009 at 3:15:38 pm

Bjarki,

Try posting your question in the comments section of this article over at FXGuide. Sheila Santos, one of the developers of Smoke for Mac, has been monitoring the discussion and answering questions.

http://www.fxguide.com/qt/1803/smoke-on-mac-part-1-overview#more-1803

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 31, 2009 at 11:18:34 am

Alan,

I posted there, thanks for the tip!

Happy new year,
Bjarki

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 2:42:01 pm

Hi Bjarki,
I might not be 100% right, but I think you need the Kona 3 because it can convert video to a DPX frame-based image sequence in realtime as you capture, which the Kona LH can't. Historically, all the Autodesk Systems products (flame,flint,smoke etc)all use DPX as internal RGB format.

cheers
Chris.

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Jan 5, 2010 at 10:14:54 pm

That sounds very likely. Thanks for your input!

B.

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:29:41 pm

As a follow up thought, all the Kona cards come with a software utility which can convert a 10bit RGB Quicktime file into a DPX image sequence. So it would be interesting to see if the Kona LH could capture using the AJA VTR Xchange application, convert into DPX and then import into smoke.
cheers
chris

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:37:38 pm

That's interesting. In my case, I'd only be using the Kona card for monitoring purposes. I didn't get any feedback on the comment I posted on the other site, but maybe someone will set us straight on this issue. Seems like overkill to have to have the Kona 3, even if you'd be working on SD (or even some HD) projects.

B.

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:55:44 pm

Hi Bjarki,

For what it's worth, I've got a Kona LHi installed in a system that I'm configuring with Smoke...in the Smoke test program that's installed with the demo, my Kona LHi doesn't show up in the configuration. It just says Kona 3 "not found".

I'm still waiting to for my quadro card and monitor to arrive. When it does, I'll let you know if I'm able to configure around the Lhi.

Jason

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:42:53 pm

Any news on the LHi front?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]